Blue Collective is a multi-strategy investment firm located in New York City. Our strategies include: 1) early stage VC (venture capital) and 2) growth & buy-out capital. We invest according to a simple, foundational thesis: phenomenal people build phenomenal businesses. Our job at Blue is thus seeking out, investing in, and supporting phenomenal entrepreneurs and operators, wherever we can find them. Blue started in 2015 with a first fund of $10 million and is now deploying a second fund of $60 million. We invest broadly across industry, business model, category, technology, and more. To date, we’ve built a portfolio of nearly 50 companies (including now 2 unicorns), supporting entrepreneurs building everything from cowboy boots to low-sugar cereal to cannabis-inspired streetwear to AI-enabled analytics platforms to dev-ops optimization technology to 3d printed human organs (see the full list at http://www.bluecollective.com/entrepreneurs). We have the long-term vision to create a different kind of investment firm: one that is values-based, people-first, and never-boring.
We are currently hiring Investment Interns for Summer 2020. We are looking for candidates who want to learn about the world of VC and PE investing, who have a desire to work hard, and who like what we’re building. Blue is a home for those who are intellectually adventurous and challenge-seeking; contrarian by nature but guided by facts; ever-curious and always-learning; sometimes snarky, but always polite; and propelled each day in part by a ‘chip on the shoulder’. If this sounds like you, we want to hear from you! Please note that prior venture capital or private equity experience is NOT a requirement for working at Blue.
As an Investment Intern at Blue, you will spend the summer being immersed in the world of VC and PE investing. In this full-time Internship role, you will contribute to activities across the full spectrum of Blue operations, from sourcing to diligence to portfolio support to investor engagement and brand-building. You will work side-by-side with Blue’s Partners and Associates and receive active coaching and mentorship. You will work on a variety of daily business activities and special projects and learn up close and personal what VC and PE investing is all about. The 10-week Summer Program runs from June to August in New York City.
Summer Interns are eligible at the end of the Summer to be considered for our longer-term Scouts program. We make a limited number of Scout offers to our Summer Interns each year. Scouts with Blue continue to work with Blue beyond the summer while still at school (or beyond). Scouts support primarily on sourcing, diligence, and brand-building while continuing to receive formal coaching and mentorship. Scouts also receive equity and are priority candidates for us when we hire full-time positions
- Support investing activities, from sourcing to diligence to investment evaluation. This may include, but is not limited to, reviewing pitch decks, attending ‘pitch’ meetings, conducting market research and competitive analysis, designing and executing customer surveys and expert interviews, financial modeling, and more
- ontribute to portfolio operations activities. This may include, but is not limited to, attending meetings with portfolio entrepreneurs, analyzing company metrics and financials, doing research related to business development and talent recruitment, and more
- Support brand-building activities. This may include, but is not limited to, helping design and execute Blue-hosted events, researching investors, researching investment trends, technology evaluation, and more
- Own and execute special projects related to overall Blue strategy and growth. Each Intern will own and execute 1-2 special projects during the summer, selected in concert with Blue Partners and aligned with each intern’s interests, meant to provide further learning about and exposure to the world of investing
- A current student pursuing a BA, MBA, or other advanced degree. Must have at least a 3.25 GPA
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Superb analytical and reasoning skills and adept with numbers (we don’t need you to be a math whiz; we just need numbers not to scare you)
- Open to learning new skills and taking on a variety of projects and tasks
- Extreme attention to detail and ability to manage multiple deadlines at once
- Values-driven and adheres to the highest levels of professional and personal integrity
- Prior VC / PE experience not required
COMPENSATION: This is a paid internship
If interested, please apply here.