Parallel18 welcomes companies from around the world to help them scale from Puerto Rico to global markets beyond the island. Our team works hard to provide high-quality business education, develop business connections, and create investment opportunities for all our startups. The program works to promote innovative entrepreneurship in Puerto Rico, by offering Puerto Rican and international entrepreneurs access to high-quality business training, grants, mentors, business contacts and investors to help them scale from the island.
The program has also executed since its inception P18Ventures, a follow-up co-investment fund designed to match capital that parallel18 entrepreneurs raise from private investors, through which we have invested US $1.15 million in 16 companies so far.
To make sure that the companies in the parallel18 network can get better access to capital from investors and to opportunities that can help them scale their business exponentially post-program, and to expand the reach and outcomes of P18Ventures, we are creating the position of Investment Fund Manager.
We expect from this role to awesomely facilitate the private capital investment infrastructure of the program, as well as the development and progress of the investability of the companies in their time during and after the program. Among the most important activities:
● Manage existing P18Ventures portfolio and provide direct support to companies the program has invested in
● Expand P18Ventures financial support through supporting the formation of a formal investment fund that can accept private capital, and engaging the appropriate stakeholders and service providers to make this happen
● Work closely with the Executive Director and the Director of Operations to devise an investment strategy that meets the goals of a typical startup investment fund, P18Ventures, and of the program as a whole
● Undertake fundraising activities that can enable deployment of capital in more parallel18 companies through both new and follow-on investments, and even in companies outside of the parallel18 network
● Identify and monitor promising leads for potential P18Ventures investment through scouting activities
● Perform due diligence and evaluate investments for P18Ventures based on the potential return of investment and the strategic goals of the parallel18 program
● Facilitate business opportunities and investor connections for portfolio companies so that P18Ventures investments can continue increasing in value and build towards a potential exit
● Support Puerto Rico’s startup investment ecosystem by executing investor education events that inform potential local investors on how startup investment works and nurture our pipeline of limited partners for the P18Ventures fund
● Expand and nurture the international investors’ network, which may require some business trips mainly to the United States and Latin America
● Manage relationships with the relevant stakeholders and recruited limited partners of the formed P18Ventures fund, including proper reporting of fund and portfolio performance
● Serve as an internal entrepreneur in residence that provides constant strategy advice to companies in the parallel18 program, with a special focus on investment topics and fundraising strategy
● Engage as needed in parallel18’s weekly KPI meetings to provide continued guidance and support to companies participating in the acceleration program
● Oversee investment fund staff members to ensure P18Ventures program goals and performance metrics are being met
● Support parallel18’s Operations team in specific projects as needed
The ideal candidate for the Investment Fund Manager position must:
● Do things with passion and always bring a positive can-do attitude. Execution is one of the most important attributes, as you need to think big but start small and constantly challenge the status quo.
● Possess a T-shaped mindset and entrepreneurial thinking.
● Be a fast learner, resourceful, and have a keen attention to detail.
● Work independently and within teams effectively.
● Be able to work under pressure and in multiple projects.
● Have outstanding verbal and written communication skills.
● Have outstanding time management and organization skills.
● Have a strong financial background and outstanding analytical skills.
● Be dependable and punctual.
● Be ethical, always showing a professional demeanor.
● Have a high motivation to make a positive impact in Puerto Rico.
To be part of this gig you should have had experience managing investment fund activities in some capacity and with overseeing a portfolio of startup companies.
Last but not least, this is a global and multicultural program so you must be fluent in Spanish and English.
Proven experience in the startup/innovation/entrepreneurship field
Proven experience in building a business and raising funding as a startup founder
Proven experience in forming and operating an investment fund
Proven experience in deploying investment capital into startup companies
Proven experience in tracking of startups’ goals and metrics and with facilitating the growth and investability of entrepreneurs beyond what they think it’s possible
Proven experience with detailed financial reporting
How to apply
Your job application should include:
• 1 page cover letter — — must address how you are unique, what makes you qualified for the Investment Fund Manager position, why you are interested in investment, entrepreneurship and innovation, what is your view of the current state of the Puerto Rico innovation ecosystem, and why you would like to join Parallel18
• 1 letter of reference from a previous employer or person in position to recommend you professionally
All application materials must be submitted in one email titled “Investment Fund Manager — [Your Name]” to email@example.com with cc to firstname.lastname@example.org.