Rev1 (LinkedIn) is committed to developing and growing Central Ohio’s technology-based economy by helping entrepreneurs build great companies. We provide entrepreneurs with a unique blend of resources – services, connections, and funding – to turn innovative ideas into successful businesses. Rev1 has been recognized as the #1 most active VC in the Great Lakes Region by PitchBook.
Reporting to the Executive Vice President, Investment Funds, the Director – Investment Funds is a critical member of a team that analyzes, executes, and manages investments in concept, seed, and early-stage companies across several dedicated capital funds. The position will work across Rev1 Ventures’ investment funds including Rev1 Fund I, Rev1 Ventures concept funds, and dedicated funds investing in companies commercializing technologies developed at innovation partners The Ohio State University, Nationwide Children’s Hospital, and OhioHealth. Rev1 Ventures invests across a broad range of technology sectors, including information technology, life sciences, advanced materials, agribusiness, and alternative energy.
Responsibilities and Duties
What you will do:
- Lead Rev1 Ventures due diligence processes to evaluate technology, products, business, and financial plans; perform customer and market assessments, competitive analyses, and model capital requirements across the early stage company life cycle. Counsel companies and prepare variance analyses, investment memoranda, and conduct research for comparable company/investment data.
- Work with Rev1 Venture Acceleration and Investment staff to ensure a consistent investment process. Manage pre-investment committee checklist, investor presentation development, and critical review and risk assessment of prospective investments.
- Participate with the Rev1 Investment team in the negotiation and management of the investment process of approved investments, including preparation of term sheets, support in the negotiation process, analyzing investment terms, generation of investment materials, and working with counsel to complete definitive investment documentation.
- Build and help manage relationships with venture funds, strategic investors, angel investors, and other key investment stakeholders, including supporting Rev1 Ventures’ efforts to attract new, high-quality investment opportunities. Evaluate, appropriately document, and report on new investment opportunities to meet deal flow objectives.
- Work with Rev1’s CFO-in-Residence to develop forecasts for prospective portfolio companies. Assist in financial model assumption development and stress testing. Perform variance analysis of actual versus budget for prospective investments and current portfolio companies.
- Assist in monitoring portfolio company progress and maintain up-to-date records within Rev1’s CRM system, Salesforce.com. Respond to a variety of information and data reporting needs.
- Assist in maintenance and management of third-party databases (e.g., Pitchbook, Crunchbase, CB Insights), updating for investment activities.
- Generate required internal approval forms and documentation necessary for investment-related activities, including disbursements of funds, in accordance with Rev1 Ventures program policies and procedures, fund management agreements, and state grant and loan agreements.
- Implement procedures for driving funding metrics and their reporting to members, Ohio Development Services Agency, and other key stakeholders.
- Assist in preparing fund level reporting and annual meeting preparation for Rev1 Ventures various investment funds and capital call documentation preparation as needed.
- Works closely with Rev1 staff and executive management to function as an advocate for the mission, programs, and clients of Rev1.
Qualifications and Skills
What you will bring:
- Education: Minimum of Bachelor’s degree, Master’s degree in business, sciences, engineering, or a related field preferred.
- Experience: 6 to 10 years of relevant private early-stage investment and/or combination of venture development, technology commercialization, corporate development, M&A, and/or investment management experience.
- Analytical Know-How: Excellent technical financial and analytical skills. Broad business and investment knowledge, and can understand and interpret financial statements. Solid command of Excel and practical experience with businesses’ financial / accounting functions.
- Project Management: Detail-oriented; able to manage competing priorities across a variety of tasks, timelines, and stakeholders.
- Strong Communication: Highly professional at all times with excellent verbal, written, and presentation skills. Prior experience with client management and/or managing internal and external stakeholders.
- Business Judgment: Ability to make well-reasoned conclusions and recommendations regarding new investment opportunities, and relative to specific transaction execution and portfolio management situations.
- Data Management: Rev1 is a data-driven organization, and overall team success requires individual responsibility to identify, document, and report consistently and accurately on objectives and outcomes.
- Team-Oriented: Comfortable working in cross-functional teams and able to both lead and collaborate with all levels of professionals, including university researchers, entrepreneurs, venture capitalists, angel investors, strategic vendors, and the Rev1 marketing and venture acceleration teams and other staff. Ability to function effectively in a matrix management setting.
- Sector Knowledge: Solid industry knowledge and expertise across information technology, life sciences, and other technology sectors strongly preferred.
Who you are:
- Flexible and Collaborative: Willing to work with a variety of companies, partners, and projects. Able to deal with complex, ambiguous situations effectively. Must be able to participate in programs/events that may occur on nights/weekends as an advocate of Rev1 Ventures.
- Continuous Learning: We foster an encouraging environment that is always learning, always asking questions and challenging assumptions.
- Self-Starter: Comfortable taking the lead and managing a process from start to production and delivery. Willing to self-educate in fields outside of personal experience.
- Entrepreneurial: Understands the stress and concerns entrepreneurs face, as well as the art and timing of partnering and exit strategies. Experience with early-stage funding dynamics a plus.
- Positive and Polished: High level of professionalism, composure, confidence, and emotional maturity. Ability to interact effectively with executives, entrepreneurs, professional service providers, co-investors in a productive manner.
- Ethical: High integrity; trustworthy with confidential information.
What’s in it for you:
- Collaborative work environment at one of the Best Places to Work in Columbus
- Access to exciting tech startups and trends in the national arena
- Competitive compensation package, including performance-based incentives
- Generous paid time off
- 401(k) matching
- Health, dental, and vision benefits
If interested, please apply here.