Johnson & Johnson Innovation (JJI), a part of Johnson & Johnson’s Family of Companies, is currently recruiting for a Director, New Ventures, to be located in Menlo Park, CA. Johnson & Johnson (J&J) is the world’s most comprehensive and broadly based manufacturer of health care products, as well as a provider of related services, for the pharmaceutical, consumer health, and medical device markets. The more than 230 Johnson & Johnson operating companies employ over 125,000 people worldwide.
JJI focuses on accelerating all stages of innovation worldwide and forming collaborations between entrepreneurs and J&J’s global healthcare businesses. JJI provides scientists, entrepreneurs, and emerging companies with one-stop access to science and technology experts who can facilitate collaborations across the pharmaceutical, medical device and consumer companies of J&J. JJI is comprised of a family of complementary teams: JJI, Innovation Centers; JJI, JLABS; JJI, JLINX; JJI, J&J Development Corporation; and JJI, Janssen Business Development. Through the work of these teams, JJI connects with innovators to create customized deals and novel collaborations that speed development of innovations to solve unmet healthcare needs. For more information, visit www.jnjinnovation.com or follow @JNJInnovation.
Johnson & Johnson Innovation, Innovation Centers (ICs), consists of four regional hubs—in California (Menlo Park), Boston (Cambridge), London, and Shanghai. The Director, New Ventures, will be an integral part of the New Ventures Team in the California Innovation Center. She or he will work largely on external innovation opportunities in pharma, but may also work on opportunities in medical devices, consumer healthcare, and health tech, and on cross-sector opportunities.
The Director, New Ventures, will have responsibilities that include, but are not limited to, the following.
- Establish and maintain relationships with healthcare innovators, both in entrepreneurial and academic settings, in the local ecosystem and throughout Western North America.
- Participate in the sourcing, screening, and mentoring of companies with game-changing science for J&J’s multiple incubators and accelerators.
- Work with internal J&J stakeholders and with therapeutic area and operating company scientific experts on strategic priorities and on the identification of potential growth areas.
- Generate and prioritize a flow of innovative opportunities of high potential interest to J&J—in current core business areas, strategic adjacencies, and new potential markets.
- Participate in and coordinate scientific and business due diligence on high-priority opportunities.
- Working with teammates in the scientific, transactions, finance, venture capital, legal, project management, and communications groups, identify optimal deal structures, participate in deal negotiations, and shepherd deals through approval processes and to closure.
- In some cases, manage and optimize collaborations with external innovators after deal closure.
- A Bachelor’s Degree and an advanced degree in science is required. A Ph.D. or an M.D. (or both) is preferred.
- A minimum of five years of work experience in the fields of biopharmaceuticals, medical devices, consumer health, or health technology is required; this work experience can have been acquired through work directly in these industries (whether in large or small companies) or through work experience in venture investing, management consulting, or investment banking.
- Experience in the evaluation and execution of business development deals is preferred, as is a general understanding of equity investing.
- A demonstrated track record of high performance, academically and professionally, is preferred.
- The ability to communicate well, both in oral and written form, is preferred.
- Strong interpersonal skills and a high degree of self-awareness are required. Preferred personality traits include industriousness, flexibility, and a high capacity for teamwork.
- Existing knowledge of, and network in, the West Coast ecosystem of healthcare (or life science) innovators and investors is strongly preferred.
This position is located in Menlo Park, CA, and requires willingness to travel (including internationally) up to 30% of the time.
If Interested, please apply here.