Early stage Venture Capital investment provides the foundation of funding and company building insight for the next generation of innovative technology companies. The IP Group team selects, funds and builds these companies alongside ambitious entrepreneurs and innovators. From the jet engine to fibre optic communications and from liquid crystal displays to medical ultrasound, some of the most well-known disruptive technologies of the past century have roots in the research labs of British universities.
The IP Group Technology division aims to “shape the future” by commercialising innovations derived from our partner institutions in fields ranging from advanced materials, through the various disciplines of chemical, mechanical, electrical and electronic engineering, to information and communications technologies, including both hardware and software. Following the recent merger with Touchstone Innovations, the portfolio includes 85 portfolio companies ranging from FeatureSpace (innovative behaviour analytics) to Econic (cost-effective environmental polymer catalyst) to Ultrahaptics (mid-air tactile feedback) and First Light Fusion (nuclear fusion).
- Work closely with select high-value portfolio companies to increase optimal outcome through detailed analysis of financing strategy, corporate partnerships, and exit approach. Also support companies and partners in times of turmoil and turn-around situations as needed.
- Operate as Board Observer on several key assets for opportunity to build board experience and expertise alongside Partners; trajectory to Board Director roles also.
- Research to identify and engage potential investors among financial and corporate partners.
- Assess a technology’s and/or company’s competitive positioning, IP strength and strategy, market potential and judge the investment opportunity.
- Support with execution of investment rounds from IP Group and other investors into portfolio companies, from initial fundraising (identifying and engaging potential investors) to completion (executing legal documentation, managing evolving cap table).
- Provide interim support and management to spin-out companies as required, and also help identify key management needs for portfolio companies.
- Lead research and deep dives on selected investment areas of interest, following team investment strategy, and map key companies and researchers of interest. Building relationships with universities, departments, researchers and students.
- Engage and build activity in the broader community to enhance IPG brand and awareness of opportunity of entrepreneurship and start-ups as attractive career.
- Engineering or science graduate with a good quality degree from a research-intensive institution. MBA degree is a plus.
- Significant commercial experience in technology-based, consulting and/or investment roles. At least 2+ years of experience in commercial and analytical environment, ideally working with or exposure to technology companies. Preference given to candidates who have demonstrated entrepreneurial flair and who have strong interpersonal skills including rapport, presence, and presentation skills.
- Confident, ambitious, high internal drive, can-do attitude, comfortable with uncertainty, able to operate independently.
Candidates will be evaluated on the following criteria, based on ability and track record.
- Strong dynamic personal authority and presence, able to engage effectively with senior management of portfolio companies and at IPG and with external stakeholders like co-investors and university relationships.
- Thoughtfulness and analytical approach to investment evaluations, influence, partnerships, etc.
- Effective and efficient persuasion and influencing skills
- Self-starter with high ambition and determination in drive for success of portfolio & technologies and personal career.
- Entrepreneurial with ability to handle a variety of roles and projects simultaneously, and provide support to multiple partners and portfolio companies at same time
- Strong critical analysis for investment evaluation and project work.
- Creative thinking for problem solving and diverse contributions.
- Technical background and understanding
- Technical area deep dive, research and analysis
- Strong presenter and ability to create clear, compelling powerpoint presentations for themselves as presenter and/or partners to present.
- Ability to build and maintain effective networks (investors, industry, scientific communities)