Rev1 is committed to developing and growing Central Ohio’s technology-based economy by helping entrepreneurs build great companies. We provide entrepreneurs with a unique blend of resources– services, connections, and funding – to turn innovative ideas into successful businesses.
Reporting to the Executive Vice President, Investment Funds, the Director – Investment Funds is a critical member of a team that analyzes, executes, and manages investments in concept, seed, and early stage companies across several dedicated capital funds. The position is specific to an insurance and financial tech-related fund, with areas of interest including sensors, telematics, smart homes, wearables, technologies impacting the distribution of insurance, disruptive emerging capabilities in AI, and trends impacting the sharing economy.
What You’ll Do:
- Lead Rev1 Ventures due diligence processes to evaluate technology, products, business, and financial plans; perform customer and market assessments, competitive analyses, and model capital pathways. Counsel companies and prepare variance analyses, investment memoranda, and conduct research for comparable company/investment data.
- Work with Rev1 Venture Acceleration and Investment staff to ensure consistent investment process. Manage pre-investment committee checklist, investor presentation development, and critical review and risk assessment of prospective investments.
- Participate with the Rev1 Investment team in the negotiation and management of the investment process of approved deals, including negotiating deal terms, generation of investment materials, and working with counsel to complete appropriate documentation.
- Build and help manage relationships with venture funds, strategic investors, angel investors, and other key investment stakeholders.
- Work with Rev1’s CFO-in-Residence to develop forecasts for prospective portfolio companies. Assist in financial model assumption development and stress testing. Perform variance analysis for budgeted versus actual performance for prospective and current portfolio companies.
- Assist in monitoring portfolio company progress and maintain up-to- date records within Rev1’s CRM system, Salesforce.com. Respond to a variety of information and data reporting needs.
- Assist in maintenance and management of third party databases
- Generate appropriate approval forms for investment related activities, including disbursements of funds, in accordance with Rev1 Ventures program policies and procedures, fund management agreements, and state grant requirements.
- Implement procedures for driving funding metrics and their reporting to members, Ohio Development Services Agency, and other key stakeholders.
- Works closely with Rev1 staff and executive management to function as an advocate for the mission, programs, and clients of Rev1.
What You Bring:
- Experience: 8 to 10 years of private early stage investment and/or venture development experience.
- Analytical Know-How: Excellent financial and analytical skills. Broad business and investment knowledge, and can understand and interpret financial statements. Solid command of Excel and practical experience with businesses’ financial / accounting functions.
- Project Management: Detail-oriented; able to manage competing priorities across a variety of tasks and timelines.
- Strong Communication: Highly professional at all times with excellent verbal, written, and presentation skills. Prior experience with client management and/or managing internal and external stakeholders.
- Business Judgment: Ability to make well reasoned conclusions and recommendations regarding new investment opportunities, and relative to specific transaction execution and portfolio management situations.
- Data Management: Rev1 is a data-driven organization, and overall team success requires individual responsibility to identify, document, and report consistently and accurately on objectives and outcomes.
- Team-Oriented: Comfortable working in cross-functional teams and able to both lead and collaborate with all levels of professionals, including university researchers, entrepreneurs, venture capitalists, angel investors, strategic vendors, and the Rev1 marketing and venture acceleration teams and other staff. Ability to function effectively in a matrix management setting.
- Insurance industry / tech and financial tech experience preferred.
Who You Are:
- Flexible and Collaborative: Willing to work with a variety of companies, partners, and projects. Must be able to participate in programs/events that may occur on nights/weekends.
- Self-Starter: Comfortable taking the lead and managing a process from start to production and delivery. Willing to self-educate in fields outside of personal experience.
- Entrepreneurial: Understands the stress and concerns entrepreneurs face, as well as the art and timing of partnering and exit strategies. Experience with early-stage funding dynamics a plus.
- Positive and Polished: High level of professionalism, composure, confidence, and emotional maturity.
- Ethical: High integrity; trustworthy with confidential information.
If interested, please submit your resume to Kyleigh Halsey at Kyleigh@rev1ventures.com