Humana’s Corporate Strategy and Corporate Development Practice partners with executives across the organization to solve the company’s most pressing strategic objectives and challenges. The practice, which reports directly to the Chief Strategy Officer, is a small team that works on high-profile corporate and business unit strategy projects and inorganic transactions, positioning the practice at the forefront of helping to define the future direction of the company. The practice assumes high visibility roles to structure and analyze industry, market, and competitive trends, develop go-to-market priorities, identify operating model implications, and execute inorganic transactions that accelerate Humana’s strategy.
The Directors in the Corporate Development team are directly involved in articulating the company’s strategic initiatives, either at the corporate or business segment level. The Director role works closely with Humana’s senior leadership and the segment leads to understand and refine the strategy and to help advance the strategic iniatives of the business by identifying, researching, analyzing, and making recommendations for inorganic options that accelerate the strategy. The Director role makes recommendations regarding the impact of possible mergers/acquisitions and divestitures on the organization’s strategy and profitability. The Director is responsible for conducting appropriate due diligence and for driving a transaction process through to completion, including managing and involving internal and external constituents along the way. The Director is frequently the “lead” for negotiating potential mergers, acquisitions and divestitures.
Humana prioritizes strategic rigor for the Corporate Strategy / Corporate Development practice. As Director, Corporate Development, you will provide strategic guidance and technical expertise to the development of company-wide and segment-specific strategic plans and Corporate Development / M&A initiatives. In addition, you will lead cross-functional corporate development projects executed in partnership with senior leadership and business development teams.
Key Responsibilities Include
- Delivering on a wide range of strategic activities, including articulation of strategic priorities and business development/M&A activities
- Working with Humana’s leadership team to establish and communicate the corporate development strategy
- Leading cross-functional corporate development projects, working with the management team and business presidents, ensuring consensus and execution
- Convert strategy into business cases and corporate development opportunities
- Managing deal processes from end to end, including developing timelines and deal strategies
- Managing external relationships with key business partners
- Developing and refining key team operating systems and managing individual team and deal members
Skills And Competencies
The successful candidate will be a dynamic leader who has worked in corporate development at a top tier investment bank or in a dynamic corporation. He/she will have a demonstrated ability to influence peers and business leaders. This person must be comfortable with ambiguity and able to work collaboratively with key leaders to shape the priorities and agenda for the Corporate Development group.
Additional Skills And Competencies Include
- Possesses Strong Technical Skills: Ability to analyze potential opportunities, both strategically and financially. Financial analysis skills should include financial projections, valuation analysis, returns measurement, etc.
- Summarizes and communicates complicated information: Articulates, writes prose, develops power point materials to summarize the key elements of a potential transaction: strategic rationale, considerations, risk, etc.
- Takes responsibilities across multiple tasks: will be effective at multi-tasking and possesses keen change management skills.
- Leads Positively: Leads by example to cultivate a climate of motivation, positive energy and meaning in work. Empowers and guides associates to take personal responsibility, encouraging them to productively learn, flourish, and strengthen team capacity. Assesses, selects, recognizes, and develops diverse talent to capitalize on competencies, ideas and passions.
- Acts Strategically: Sees how decisions can impact the whole of the organization and makes decisions using a broad knowledge of the long-term vision, values, risk acceptance and strategy of the organization. Uses an enterprise-wide perspective to translate strategies into actions, creating a clear view of the future state. Inspires others to embrace and advance the strategy as it evolves and is realized.
- Customer Focus: Connects meaningfully with internal and external customers to build emotional engagement and customer advocacy. Develops and applies deep customer knowledge and intimacy to develop and deliver work that provides value beyond expectations. Simplifies complexity and integrates internal efforts to deliver an optimal customer experience
Accountability: Meets established expectations and takes responsibility for achieving results; encourages others to do the same. Employs focus, attention to detail, reliability, and appropriate prioritization to drive outcomes. Sees opportunities to contribute and takes the initiative to create solutions.
Key Candidate Qualifications
- Bachelor’s Degree
- 2+ years post MBA / 5+ post Undergrad consulting or corporate strategy experience
- 2+ years people leadership experience
- Understanding of healthcare industry, preferably payer or provider
- Strong business acumen and analytical skills
- Passion for people development and demonstrated leadership success
- Ability to identify, structure and solve business problems
- Excellent interpersonal, organizational, written, and oral communication and presentation skills.
- Demonstrated ability to interact with senior leadership internally and externally
- Relocation to Louisville is required for this role as the Corporate Development team is located at our headquarters in Louisville, KY.
- 5+ years post MBA / 8+ post Undergrad consulting or corporate strategy experience
- 5+ years people leadership experience
- 2+ years healthcare industry (payer or provider)
If interested, Please apply here.