Clean Energy Ventures (CEV) is the manager of a newly formed early stage venture capital fund, Clean Energy Venture Fund I, LP (the Fund) that invests in companies commercializing disruptive clean energy technologies and business model innovations that can achieve significant scale by taking advantage of market-driven forces to address global climate disruption.
The three Managing Directors (MDs) of CEV are seeking an experienced Investment Director, to be based in Boston, MA, who will provide support to them and 13 Venture Partners in all areas of investment and fund management matters as detailed below.
Please review the required qualifications before applying. If you are interested in this role and you meet the required qualifications, please submit a resume with your application. Cover letters are appreciated.
To be considered for the role of Investment Director, applicants must have:
- Technical expertise in areas related to clean energy technologies and at least one technical degree
- A deep understanding of what it takes to create successful clean energy startups and successfully commercialize clean energy technologies
- An understanding of the markets and customers for clean energy products and services that startups may develop
- Familiarity and connections with the clean energy ecosystem, including the large strategic players, US and Canadian federal and state governments and agencies, and the Universities, incubators, labs, investors, and other organizations that support early stage commercialization of clean energy technologies
- Experience with and understanding of venture investing in early stage technology companies
- Excellent communication skills and demonstrated record of high integrity
- Ability to work independently as well as in deal teams
- Strong proficiency with MS Excel and other spreadsheet, database and modeling software
- Proficient with modern office and cloud applications and services such as Outlook, Word and Office, Google Drive apps, and strong graphics and presentation creation skills
Specific responsibilities will include but not be limited to the following:
- Sourcing new investment opportunities that meet the Fund’s investment parameters throughout the US and Canada
- Visiting and developing relationships with incubators, accelerators, national labs and other venues where CEV may desire to source deals for the Fund
- Attend, present, and represent CEV at industry conferences and events
- Participate actively in and help manage the CEV pipeline management, screening, and scouting processes operated in conjunction with Clean Energy Venture Group (CEVG)
- Support the MDs and Venture Partners with diligence matters related to new opportunities (which could include activities including but not limited to: evaluating technology, contacting technical experts in the field, reference checks on management team, evaluation calls to suppliers/customers, assessment of market size, product pricing, competitors, financing alternatives, exit options, etc.)
- Support the MDs and Venture Partners in matters related to portfolio companies board meetings and other discussions
- Support CEV’s road mapping exercises to determine which subsectors of clean energy provide the best opportunity for the Fund to invest, and what specific technologies and business models to proactively look for in each of those subsectors
- Support fund management and administrative responsibilities
- Support CEV and the Fund in preparation and organization of Strategic Advisory Board briefings and meetings
- Support the development and maintenance of the spreadsheets, databases and documents used to track prior investments, potential future investments, potential co-investors and follow-on investors, and other pertinent data.
- Support the planning, coordination and agenda of Fund annual meeting
The ideal candidate for this position will have the following personal characteristics:
- A desire to address climate change by bringing advanced energy technologies to market in alignment with the Fund’s mission
- Highest integrity and transparent and open in all communications
- Creative, confident, self-motivated individual with a “can do” attitude
- Desire to perform whatever work is needed to “get the job done”
- At times, ability to function independently without regular oversight
- Willing to learn in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment
The position will be based at 50 Milk Street, Boston, MA and will involve significant travel at times.
CEV offers a competitive base salary, profits participation based on performance, and benefits. Our talented team shares a passion for excellence, a commitment to team work, a deep respect for the environment, and a strong desire to mitigate the impacts of climate change.
If interested, please apply here.