At Capital One, (LinkedIn, Crunchbase) we’re building a leading information-based technology company. Still founder-led by Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Richard Fairbank, Capital One is on a mission to help our customers succeed by bringing ingenuity, simplicity, and humanity to banking. We measure our efforts by the success our customers enjoy and the advocacy they exhibit. We are succeeding because they are succeeding.
Guided by our shared values, we thrive in an environment where collaboration and openness are valued. We believe that innovation is powered by perspective and that teamwork and respect for each other lead to superior results. We elevate each other and obsess about doing the right thing. Our associates serve with humility and a deep respect for their responsibility in helping our customers achieve their goals and realize their dreams. Together, we are on a quest to change banking for good.
Venture Development Director
Capital One is a diversified financial services company that offers a broad array of products and services to consumers, small businesses and commercial clients. As a Fortune 100 company and a top 10 US bank, Capital One is one of the most widely recognized brands in America.
Data and technology are at the center of everything we do. When we launched as a startup, we disrupted the credit card industry by individually personalizing every credit card offer using data and statistical modeling. Thirty years later, our continuous focus on innovation makes us an industry leader in data-driven decision-making, cloud computing and digital servicing.
To support its innovation efforts, Capital One launched Capital One Growth Ventures (“COGV”) as a powerful way to partner with and learn from cutting-edge technology companies. COGV team members in San Francisco, New York and Washington DC work closely with Capital One’s business units and tech organization to identify new opportunities in enterprise tech, big data, cybersecurity, identity, payments, fintech and other sectors.
Role & Responsibilities:
COGV is looking for a senior team member to focus on business development and technical due diligence. The Washington DC-based role combines both internal and external responsibilities. Internal responsibilities include a combination of:
- Business Development: Work with COGVs’ portfolio companies to develop a deep understanding of their businesses and product roadmaps. With this understanding, engage Capital One teams across business and technology functions to develop new use cases and partnership opportunities.
- Due Diligence: Use your understanding of technology, business models and emerging trends to help evaluate potential investments and their ability to deliver strategic value to Capital One. Identify relevant internal technical resources and external consultants, and lead the creation of due diligence reports on prospective investments within short timelines.
- Strategic Communication & Coordination: Develop relationships with Capital One business and technology leaders. Understand their strategic priorities and needs. Serve as a liaison to keep the COGV investment team informed of internal priorities, providing ideas and guidance for potential investments. Help disseminate strategic intelligence and learnings from our venture investing activities throughout Capital One.
External Responsibilities include:
- COGV Community Building: Engage with the startup and tech ecosystem to help build relationships with promising CEOs, investors and portfolio companies’ target customers. Help build awareness of Capital One and COGV in order to increase our network of relationships, reputation and deal flow.
- Investing: Collaborate with other COGV team members to identify and execute venture investment transactions.
Qualities of a Potential Hire:
- Hands-on experience with and deep understanding of technology, especially in one or more of COGVs’ focus areas: enterprise tech and cloud, big data, cybersecurity, identity, payments, fintech
- Passion for technology-driven startups
- Hunger to learn about and understand complex technology and business problems
- Strategic and tactical mindset
- Creative thinker and dot connector
- Trustworthy, Influencer, Networker
- Ability to work independently and in small groups
- Ability to maneuver and drive change in a large organization
- Clear communicator
- Bachelor’s degree
- At least 6 years of experience in a technology role
- At least 2 years of experience in business development
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Engineering, Math, or Operations
- MBA or advanced degree in technology or quantitative discipline
- 8+ years of experience in a technology role; ideally as a software engineer, architect or data scientist
- 3+ years of experience in business development (or other relationship development)
- Demonstrated ability to operate within a large organization at speed
- Demonstrated analytical, presentation and communication skills
If interested, please apply here.