Cambridge Innovation Capital (CIC) (LinkedIn, Crunchbase) invests in high-growth technology and life sciences companies in the Cambridge region, referred to as the ‘Cambridge cluster’. CIC is led by an experienced team, an outstanding Board of Directors, and an advisory panel of leading scientists and entrepreneurs. CIC combines a strong relationship with the University of Cambridge with deep financial and industry links. The company strives to build leading businesses using a long-term patient capital investment strategy – removing the pressure to deliver the early exits associated with the traditional venture capital model. A key component of CIC’s investment model is to identify emerging scientific breakthroughs that have the potential to create disruptive innovation.
CIC is looking for an experienced, highly motivated Investment Director to join its team.
The ideal candidate
will have a strong scientific understanding, a deep and varied experience within software and digital media, a commercial focus, experience in investment and strong evidence of entrepreneurial zeal. The successful candidate will, have confidence and gravitas when communicating, and ideally will have links to the Cambridge region.
This role, reporting to the CEO, will offer the right candidate a fantastic opportunity to continue to develop their career in a dynamic environment within an established and well-capitalised business.
Key duties and responsibilities
• Deal origination from within the Cambridge cluster
• Assessment of deal-flow opportunities
• Leading the investment process
• Conducting and coordinating commercial due diligence on potential investment opportunities
• Developing financial models
• Interacting with the technology transfer and seed funds team at Cambridge Enterprise (the commercialisation arm of the University of Cambridge)
• Keeping abreast with market developments and technology trends
• Monitoring the CIC portfolio
• Representing CIC on the Board of portfolio companies
• Supporting investee companies to optimise growth and realise value
• Working with a broad range of other investors, including venture funds, corporate venture groups, angels and Cambridge Enterprise to maximise value in the portfolio companies
• Representing CIC in the Cambridge community to enhance its reputation as the leading investor in innovative new companies
The successful candidate will be a recognized leader in his or her field and will have built a reputation for honest, straightforward operation.
Key personal attributes of the candidate are:
• 10+ years of combined investment and relevant operational experience
• Demonstrable track record of successful investing and portfolio value building
• Operational/entrepreneurial experience at a senior level in a relevant business
• Multi-year experience working on company boards
• Clear and demonstrable business nous
• Energetic, confident
• An excellent communicator, articulate and literate
• Gravitas – able to hold your own with leading academics and key business leaders and at local,
national and international networking events
• The ability to work independently and embrace an autonomous way of working
• Engaging personality with a passion for technology
Desirable but not essential:
• A top class academic record from a world leading institution
• Connections with the Cambridge cluster
Please send your curriculum vitae and a covering letter explaining why you are attracted to this role to: firstname.lastname@example.org