CareFirst is a leader in the healthcare industry serving over 3 million Members. It’s Healthworx organization applies an analytic approach to identify new opportunities in medicine and technology to make our Members’ health care experience more convenient and their care less expensive and more effective. Healthworx has three main areas of activity:
- Using technology, research, and data analytics to solve health problems
- Investing in, cultivating, and acquiring businesses with promising products in health care
- Forming impactful partnerships and collaborations aimed at differentiation and diversified revenue
The Duties Of This Position Include
Leading the identification, assessment, and management of strategic investments in early stage companies (70%)
- Manage and continually evolve all stages of the venture investment assessment and execution process, including valuation, due diligence, investment recommendations, and preparation of transaction documents and supporting materials
- Create and manage comprehensive financial models for individual start-ups as well as our venture capital portfolio as a whole
- Manage Healthworx’s relationship with its portfolio companies, including ensuring progress against benchmarks, exit analysis and business plan execution
- Help source and evaluate new investment opportunities, including funds, and direct investments
- Lead, mentor and develop existing team of associates
- Curate the investment opportunity pipeline to drive our communication with those companies in which we are interested in investing or otherwise assisting
- Conduct strategic planning for the portfolio, as well as develop and evolve systems, policies, and procedures for managing our pipeline and portfolio
- Assist portfolio companies with business development, fundraising and other strategic initiatives
- Sit on the Board of portfolio companies and able to offer insight to ensure strategic growth and success
Create and manage the deal pipelines for specific sectors of interest (30%)
- External outreach within the investor and entrepreneurial community to create sourcing opportunities, inform product strategy, and stay abreast of the competitive landscape
- Perform market research to help identify new investment trends and opportunities
- Synthetize health technology and business model trends into actionable insights for CareFirst business units
- Act as an ambassador to the firm by attending conferences and fostering relationships in the industry
- Bachelor’s Degree in a quantitative field (e.g., Finance, Economics, Business, or Accounting) or Healthcae related field
- 7+ years of transaction experience in venture capital investing, with exposure to the healthcare industry
- Previous principal or partner-level experience at a top-tier venture capital firm with a strong individual track record in venture investing
Required Skills And Abilities
- Strong financial, quantitative and analytical skill
- Independent thinker who can think strategically and creatively and also drive tactical execution
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to drive projects cross-functionally
- Ability to effectively interact in matrixed environment
- Excellent presentation skills.
- Ability to work independently with minimum oversight and demonstrate attention to detail, accuracy and quality awareness.
- Proven effective written and oral communication skills,
- Strong organizational skills.
- Ability to multi-task and work independently, promote flexibility and teamwork.
- Ability to effectively communicate complex issues and findings in writing and orally to CEO, Board, executives, and peer audiences
- Strong PC skills, Microsoft Word, Microsoft Outlook, Excel, database applications
- Must be able to effectively work in a fast paced environment with frequently changing priorities, deadlines, and workloads that can be variable for long periods of time. Must be able to meet established deadlines and handle multiple customer service demands from internal and external customers, within set expectations for service excellence. Must be able to effectively communicate and provide positive customer service to every internal and external customer, including customers who may be demanding or otherwise challenging.
- Experience with corporate venture capital programs
- MBA, JD, or Master’s degree in a health-related discipline
- Experience in an entrepreneurial setting
- Experience reviewing and drafting legal documentation
- Proven track record with high-performing analytic and/or strategic consulting teams
Must be able to effectively work in a fast paced environment with frequently changing priorities, deadlines, and workloads that can be variable for long periods of time. Must be able to meet established deadlines and handle multiple customer service demands from internal and external customers, within set expectations for service excellence. Must be able to effectively communicate and provide positive customer service to every internal and external customer, including customers who may be demanding or otherwise challenging.
If interested, please apply here.