THE NEW VENTURES TEAM
The New Ventures Team (LinkedIn, Crunchbase) is a strategic, entrepreneur-led group within the company that is tasked with delivering growth for A+E Networks. The team applies new business models against the company’s existing corporate assets to create growth in the form of new products, services or entirely new transformational enterprises. The team is part of the Corporate Development department and works closely with the company’s management team and other senior executives across the company.
The New Ventures Team leverages A+E’s portfolio of leading network brands (A&E, LIFETIME, HISTORY, Lifetime Movies, FYI, VICELAND) and diverse collection of globally recognizable TV franchises, to conceive, develop and bring to market new business ventures.
THE POSITION The New Ventures Team is looking for a Director. Directors lead venture development projects from defining project briefs to spotting relevant trends in the market and cogently articulating the commercial opportunity, devising strategies to capitalize on those opportunities, and executing against growth strategies to realize actual top-line growth.
Directors play a vital role in the business, both managing relationships with internal stakeholders, external partners, and/or investors. Directors are also expected to contribute to and progress New Ventures Team’s point of view, IP, and participate in ad-hoc strategic projects.
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE The ideal candidate is both an experienced strategist and manager. He/she has demonstrated experience driving real value from market opportunities by identifying, launching, and managing successful ventures as an entrepreneur or within large companies. The individual must be an exceptional manager capable of inspiring teams, colleagues, and partners as well as being adept at ensuring project deadlines are met.
- Rapidly develop understanding of complex industries and businesses within the context of A+E in order to find attractive growth opportunities
- Validate new business concepts with internal stakeholders and in-market
- Oversee the rapid development and testing of multiple business concepts at any given time
- Engage stakeholders to understand market needs and opportunities and generate (and defend) specific points of view
- Lead cross-functional teams to develop commercially viable growth initiatives
- Manage relationships with, and act as trusted advisor for, senior executives and other constituents within A+E
- Demonstrated success in a strategic role, proven project and team management abilities, and 5+ years of experience in an analytical role such as: strategy or innovation consulting, investment banking, economic analysis, or business development
- Deep understanding of strategy frameworks, business models, and corporate finance
- Existing relationships in the venture and entrepreneurial community
- Proven ability to develop successful growth strategies and manage teams to deliver commercial value
- Experience in or demonstrated knowledge of the Media & Entertainment, Consumer Packaged Goods, Retail, and/or Internet industries
- Ability to work well with, and earn respect of, diverse constituents – including creative, technology, finance, strategy, international, distribution, legal, etc.
- Exceptional academic credentials from highly competitive university and/or business school
- Impeccable oral, written, and visual communication skills, with comfort speaking in public and interacting with all levels of management
Need to Be
- Personable networker who is outgoing and capable of developing / maintaining relationships and converting business opportunities
- Action-oriented, entrepreneurial, and self-motivated team player with a tough-minded attitude and zero tolerance for mediocrity
- Creative thinker and extremely resourceful problem solver
- Passionate learner who is constantly discovering and forming opinions on the latest technology, business models, and new ventures
- Brilliant manager with a talent for both delivering results and developing people
Need to Expect
- Extremely hands on role where management responsibilities will need to be balanced with “rolling up the sleeves and getting into the weeds”
- Challenging position where expectations are high, resources are constrained, and roadblocks abound
- Fast moving and fluid work environment where priorities can shift and projects may need to be started and stopped quickly
- Data-driven environment where creative and qualitative choices must be supported by rigorous analysis and performance must be measured
- High degree of autonomy once management gains confidence
- Frequent interaction with senior leadership who have very high expectations
- Possibility for domestic and international travel
- Opportunity for advancement and growth as the team scales, new businesses get launched, and as measurable successful results are delivered
If interested, please apply here.