Play a critical role as a team member of a strategic investing effort within Fresenius Medical Care, executing on leading the internal investment process in early stage companies.
Principal Duties And Responsibilities
- Identify, diligence, and close investment opportunities that fit Ventures scope and goals, including preparation of all material needed to drive investment decision making.
- Serve in Board Observer roles for portfolio companies, representing both Ventures and FMC interests, and actively manage portfolio company relationships.
- Maintain a high level of knowledge of the target investment areas for Ventures.
- Collaborate with members of Ventures and Technology and Innovation Management teams to define and support both Ventures’ mission, and that of FMC.
- Develop relationships within the venture capital and startup communities on behalf of Ventures.
- Support the continuous improvement of Ventures investment processes, operational strategies, and working relationships.
- Actively participate in the venture community via participation at conferences, taking speaker roles, mentoring opportunities or similar to create visibility for Ventures and support the ecosystem.
- Participate in activities on behalf of the Head, Fresenius Medical Care Ventures when required.
- Interact with all levels of the organization, and collaborate across the organization to complete due diligence, provide Ventures input when needed to other areas within FMC, and support activities in Business Development or other functional groups.
- Review and comply with the Code of Business Conduct and all applicable company policies and procedures.
- Mentor other staff as applicable.
- Assist with various projects as assigned by a direct supervisor.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree required; MD, PhD and/or MBA preferred
Experience And Required Skills
- Minimum of 12 years’ related experience with a Bachelor’s degree; or a Master’s degree with 8 years’ experience; or a PhD with 5 years’ experience; or equivalent directly related work experience.
- Venture capital investment experience, either in a role in a venture capital firm or a corporate venture capital program, with previous Board Observer roles as a requirement and deal closing experience.
- Investment and/or industry experience in cardiovascular markets, e-health applications, or similar preferred.
- In-depth knowledge of the venture investment process.
- Highly motivated self-starter, with a proven ability to work independently and in a complex environment. Willingness to work without significant administrative support.
- Strong financial skills, including ability to assess financial statements
- Demonstrated ability to engage with and manage input from multiple functions, including research, clinical, financial, marketing, and business development.
- Willingness to manage all aspects of driving investments, including detailed research, ability to assess financial position of target companies, understanding of investment terms, due diligence, and compiling investment proposals. Proven ability to complete the investment process.
- Superior critical thinking, interpersonal and communication skills.
- Previous experience in medical device research, engineering, marketing, strategy consulting or business development preferred, including roles in either large organizations or venture-backed startup companies with operational responsibility.
If interested, please apply here.