The University of Virginia Investment Management Company (UVIMCO) provides investment management services to the University of Virginia and associated entities and is responsible for monitoring and evaluating investment strategies for a $8.8 billion investment portfolio. Our portfolio is invested globally across a broad range of asset classes and strategies including public equity, hedge funds, private equity, venture capital, real estate, resources, credit, fixed income, and derivatives. The Associate position is a unique opportunity to join a dynamic organization that utilizes world-class investment strategies to further the mission of one of the most prestigious public institutions of higher education in the country.
The Associate position is an opportunity to work directly with senior management in a small, flat, investment organization. The primary areas of focus for this position will be the risk reporting process, risk system design and management, and the execution of various risk-related strategic initiatives. Responsibilities include:
- Work collaboratively with the team to help generate attractive long-term real returns for the Long Term Pool while remaining within the risk tolerance of the University;
- Participate as a member of the Risk and Investment Committees;
- Responsible for the development of UVIMCO’s data management and risk management systems;
- Contribute to all risk reporting efforts. Utilize the risk management system for risk and exposure reporting, risk management, and providing custom analytics. Measure and manage market, liquidity and manager risks, and assess the risk tolerance of the University;
- Improve existing or develop new methodologies for risk measurement, risk management, and asset allocation models, including custom analytics;
- Provide quantitative analyses to support investment recommendations, including performance attribution and factor analyses;
- Assist in the management of UVIMCO’s derivatives overlay program;
- Provide quantitative support to the CIO, Risk Committee, Investment team, and the rest of the staff for research projects.
Position Requirements Include
- Undergraduate degree and/or graduate degree from a top institution in a quantitative discipline such as statistics, economics, quantitative finance, or computer science;
- 2+ years of demonstrated experience in investment risk management, and the ability to comprehend broad market trends;
- CFA certification or working towards a CFA certification a plus;
- Experience with relational database and solid programming skills, particularly in Python, R, and SQL; front-end web development skill is also desired, but not required;
- Familiarity with a broad array of asset classes;
- Experience in an endowment, pension or other institutional investment setting is ideal but not required;
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills; and
- Entrepreneurial work habits and consistent attention to detail.
If interested, please apply here.