The University of Virginia Investment Management Company (UVIMCO) seeks an Investment Operations Associate to join our team managing approximately $10 billion of assets on behalf of the University of Virginia and its associated organizations. UVIMCO’s portfolio is invested globally across a broad range of strategies including public equity, long/short equity, private equity, venture capital, real assets, absolute return, credit, fixed income, and derivatives. UVIMCO has one of the highest levels of long-term investment performance of any public or private educational institution in the country, having achieved a long-term rate of return that compares favorably with both benchmarks and peer institutions. Additional information about UVIMCO can be found at http://www.uvimco.org.
The Investment Operations Associate will be an integral part of the team who manages the day-to-day investment operations functions of UVIMCO. The Operations Associate will work closely with other teams within UVIMCO and frequently with external groups including the University, investment managers, custodian banks, auditors, and other service providers. This position’s primary responsibilities include performance and portfolio reporting, data management, and supporting the financial reporting process. Successful candidates must be collaborative in nature and demonstrate initiative, attention to detail, ability to manage and prioritize workflow, and show an interest in investment management.
- Prepare performance and market data/analytics reporting for distribution to UVIMCO management, board, and shareholders;
- Monitor, analyze, calculate, and verify accuracy of investment pool and benchmark performance results and trends on a monthly basis;
- Collaborate with UVIMCO’s operations team, investment team, and vendors to improve performance reporting processes and develop new operational capabilities;
- Respond to UVIMCO-related data requests and surveys from the University or other constituents;
- Analyze and update operations staff on changes to performance reporting and their effect on operations processes;
- Interpret and identify investment manager terms such as liquidity, management fees, and incentive fees and provide relevant reporting as required;
- Proactively review current processes to identify areas where efficiency can be improved and/or risks mitigated;
- Validate investment valuations, cash flows and performances data being utilized across various internal systems and work to automate information sharing across the organization;
- Assist with annual audit, including review of fund financial reporting and coordinating requests from auditors;
- Act as a resource and liaison for UVIMCO investment team and risk team; and
- Cross train and provide back-up support across the investment operations team.
Skills and Qualifications
The ideal candidate will possess:
- Strong analytical and critical thinking skills and be able to manage multiple activities accurately and effectively;
- Ability to be highly flexible in a fast-paced environment with evolving reporting requirements and job responsibilities;
- Experience in performance reporting, financial reporting, or portfolio accounting preferred;
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and able to quickly learn new technology;
- Bachelor’s degree with an emphasis in accounting, business administration, finance, or a quantitative field and a minimum of three years related professional work experience is required;
- Designation or progress towards advance certification such as CPA or CFA strongly preferred; master’s degree may substitute; and
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office, with advanced Excel skills is required.
If interested, please apply here.