Under the supervision of the Managing Director the VENTURES ASSOCIATE will:
- Assist in identification of new ventures and investment opportunities from sources at the University (Professors, students, entrepreneurial organizations on grounds, iLab), and community networks (angels, individuals)
- Screen business plans, presentation decks and other materials of Fund investment opportunities.
- Conduct investment due diligence in the form of market analysis, competitive benchmarking, technical evaluation and financial modeling and interviews with users and domain experts.
- Monitoring performance of portfolio companies.
- Assisting portfolio companies with special projects – business development, customer introductions, employee recruitment and raising follow-on capital.
- Assisting in the development and preparation of investment memos for presentation to the Investment Committee.
- Assisting with fund administration and reporting – portfolio analysis, valuation reporting and other materials for Fund Investment Committee, LVG Board and UVA leadership.
- Supporting the entrepreneurial ecosystem of the Fund – participation in events on grounds and in the community
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Managing Director.
- Experience/Education Required:
- Strong analytical abilities and intellectual curiosity.
- Financial modeling, market, technology and business model analysis.
- Passion for new and emerging technologies across life sciences and technology sectors.
- Demonstrated interest in entrepreneurship, venture capital investing and early-stage technology companies.
- Exposure to diverse business models and verticals.
- Experience with launching or interacting with early-stage start-ups preferred.
- Ability to form independent investment thesis.
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills.
- 2-4 years’ experience in management consulting, venture capital, private equity, investment banking or a start-up environment.
- Bachelors/Master’s degree in business, technology or life sciences related field.
- Ability to work in dynamic environment.
If interested, please apply here.