We are excited to announce that we are hiring two Associates at Upfront Ventures to join our team in Santa Monica, CA. If you are interested in working closely with our partners, portfolio and the wider LA tech ecosystem, read on.
This is an opportunity for you to gain invaluable experience of the venture capital industry working with a team that brings a diverse set of experiences as former entrepreneurs, operators, and now investors. You will learn about venture investing from the frontlines, help assess new investment markets and opportunities, and spend time with talented entrepreneurs as they build their businesses.
The Associate role is a two year program designed to give you unique exposure to finance, technology, and startups. You will gain relevant experience across all of these sectors, while building your network to be well-positioned for the next step in your career. Recent Upfront Associates have joined portfolio companies in management positions, launched their own startups, and continued pursuing an investing career at other funds.
The key responsibilities for an Upfront Associate include:
- Market Research and Deal Diligence: Helping identify and diligence investment opportunities, including meeting with entrepreneurs, understanding existing and new markets, analyzing business and financial models, and conducting reference checks
- Deal Execution and Analysis: Executing new and follow-on financings, including formulating investment memos, structuring deals, modeling cap table scenarios, and managing legal processes through to close
- Portfolio Support: Attending board meetings and working with portfolio companies on key issues, including helping them with critical strategic and financial analyses
- Community Engagement: Representing Upfront at local events, bringing new entrepreneurs into the firm’s network, and generally keeping a pulse on the LA tech community
- Platform Building: Supporting the wider Upfront platform and brand, including creating industry research, assisting in putting on firm events such as the Upfront Summit, and helping manage internal processes
The ideal candidate will have the following qualifications and attributes:
- 3–5 years of consulting / banking experience and / or operations experience in a management position at a startup
- Demonstrated strong quantitative and analytical skills; can navigate financial models and large datasets to distill the key points and tell a story
- Passionate about tech-enabled businesses and all things startups
- Enjoys building relationships and networking
- Proactive and a self-starter, high energy and a strong work ethic, have a point of view, innovative thinker and outstanding communicator
- Lives in LA and has a reasonable commute to get to our office in Santa Monica
Interested in applying?
If so, please fill out our short application form here by August 1st. We will reach out to all applicants by August 8th to let you know whether you have successfully advanced to the interview stage of our process.