Sutter Rock Capital (Nasdaq: SSSS), formerly known as GSV Capital, is a publicly traded venture capital portfolio that invests in late-stage, high-growth start-ups. Sutter Rock Capital’s investment thesis is rooted in fundamental structural changes in the private marketplace, including the dramatic growth and value creation increasingly taking place in companies prior to their public offerings. As a publicly traded entity, Sutter Rock Capital is a unique investment vehicle that enables public investors to access this asset class.
The portfolio has previously invested privately in premier start-ups such as Coursera, Dropbox, Facebook, Lime, Lyft, Palantir, Spotify, and Twitter.
An Investment Associate will be responsible for all aspects of the portfolio, including management and valuation of current investments, as well as sourcing, due diligence, and analysis of potential investments. The ideal candidate is a detail-oriented and curious self-starter who enjoys taking on ad-hoc, portfolio and company-related tasks and enjoys the increased responsibilities of being on a small team. This individual seeks to understand and is excited by the complexities and nuances faced by a publicly-traded venture portfolio.
Who They’re Looking For
- Minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in business, engineering, science, or a related field, from an accredited university
- 2+ years’ experience in an investment banking program or other financial services or consulting related field
- Proven attention to detail and ability to critically think beyond the numbers and ask pointed questions
- Interest and curiosity in one or several emerging areas of technology or business
- Ability to synthesize several, sometimes conflicting, viewpoints into informed opinions and recommendations
- Ability to balance and prioritize several simultaneous efforts
- Financial modeling skills, including the ability to understand and analyze company
- Strong proficiency in MS Office
What You’ll Do
- Ongoing management of current portfolio investments including quarterly valuations and financial reporting
- Build strong relationships with existing portfolio companies in order to provide updates to the Investment Committee and to prepare quarterly valuations
- Conduct investment research, financial analysis, and modeling of potential investments
- Develop in-depth assessment of business plans and investment proposals to determine business model viability, industry attractiveness, and strategic fit
- Participate in due diligence process with potential investments
- Develop investment recommendations and supporting documents
- Develop an independent, value-added perspective on investment discussions
- Build strong relationships within the venture and startup ecosystems to source potential investments
- Communicate with senior leaders in potential investment companies
- Prepare Board of Directors and Valuation Committee materials on a quarterly basis, in addition to being an integral part of the Earnings Call planning and preparation process
- Lead and support Investment Committee meetings, including the preparation of agenda, investment memoranda, and supporting documentation
- Represent Sutter Rock Capital at venture, industry, and startup events
- Other duties as assigned
How to Apply
Please email resumes to email@example.com with your name in the subject line.