Spero Ventures is an early stage venture capital firm that invests in the things that make life worth living: well-being, work and purpose and human connections. We spun out of Omidyar Network in early 2018.
The Associate position is a two-year role based in Redwood City, California, about 25 miles south of San Francisco. Applicants should have completed an undergraduate degree or equivalent, and have at least 2 years of relevant work experience. Candidates should be available to start work in June, 2019.
Associate duties will include helping us manage the day-to-day activities of the firm in a number of areas, including:
- Researching segments within our focus areas of well-being, work and purpose, and human connection, and developing investment theses working with the Spero team
- Connecting with companies that fit our investment theses and meeting with startup entrepreneurs
- Performing due diligence for potential investments, which may include market research, financial modeling, data analysis, or trialing products and services
- Working with Spero portfolio companies, including research projects, competitor analysis, and attending board meetings
- Tracking and reporting of investment performance, including valuations and key metrics
We’re looking for someone who demonstrates:
- Passion for our purpose of having a positive impact at scale
- Deep curiosity for, and understanding of, technology products and services
- Strong initiative and the ability to self-direct – your work and time is open-ended by nature and you must be able to identify and execute on opportunities to contribute to the team with little, if any, management or direction
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Strong interpersonal skills – you’ll often be talking to entrepreneurs and other investors on behalf of Spero Ventures
- Outstanding organizational skills and attention to detail
- Comfortable working with data in Excel
- No specific background required, but experience working in early-stage startups, venture capital, consulting, and/or investment banking can be a plus
If interested, please apply here.