Role: Venture Capital Associate (Pre-MBA); No candidates with MBAs will be considered
Location: Austin, TX
Start Date: Apr-Sep 2020 (negotiable)
S3 Ventures is the largest venture capital firm focused on Texas. Backed by a philanthropic, multi-billion-dollar family for over a decade, we empower great entrepreneurs with the patient capital and true resources required to grow extraordinary, high-impact companies in Business Technology, Consumer Digital Experiences, and Healthcare Technology. With more than half-a-billion dollars in assets under management, we lead Seed, Series A, and Series B investments with the capacity to follow-on for the life of a company.
We are looking for an Associate to diligence new investment opportunities, support deal execution, and provide operational horsepower to our portfolio companies. The Associate will play a significant role in investment decisions and be relied upon by our portfolio companies to support them as they grow.
Associate will add value throughout the lifecycle of our investments by:
- Reviewing pitch decks and assessing markets/companies to identify compelling businesses
- Being involved in all aspects of due diligence on new investments (business analysis, industry thesis, competitive landscape, business/pricing model, and financial modeling / deal structuring)
- Working in an operational and strategic capacity with S3’s existing portfolio companies
- Providing analytical and transaction support when S3’s portfolio companies are acquired
- Responsibilities WILL NOT include cold calling entrepreneurs for deal flow reasons
Additionally, Associate will:
- Participate in and be asked to contribute to S3’s weekly partner meetings in which new investments and portfolio companies are discussed
- Assist with ad-hoc operational tasks within S3, such as organizing events and marketing
It is expected that after 2-3 years, the Associate will leave to work at a portfolio company, attend a top business school, or for another opportunity. With exceptional performance and organizational need, there may be the option to stay at S3 on a longer-term basis but this should not be the expectation.
Candidates should have 2-5 years of total prior work experience:
- A minimum of two years of full-time work experience at an investment bank, venture capital firm, private equity firm, hedge fund, or strategy consultancy
- Demonstrated interest in technology, business operations, and start-ups through work experience, internships, or academics is highly valued
Qualified candidates will also meet the following criteria:
- Ability to quickly understand and analyze new business models, technologies, and medical devices
- Operational mindset and knowledge base that enables the identification of a business’s key value drivers
- Exceptional writing and modeling skills and a strong understanding of finance and accounting
- Excellent interpersonal skills with an ability to develop effective business relationships
- Superior work ethic with an ownership mentality and uncompromising personal integrity
- Undergraduate degree from a top-tier institution with a track record of academic and professional success
S3 Ventures will be accepting applications for this position on a rolling basis until filled. In addition to your LinkedIn profile, it is highly recommended that you include a more detailed resume when applying. Cover letters are also welcome.
If interested, please apply here.