OMERS Ventures is the venture capital arm of OMERS, one of Canada’s largest pension funds with more than $95 billion in net assets. We work with external investment partners including several leading multinational corporations. Together we have directly invested more than $300 million in growth-oriented companies in the North American technology industry creating over 5000 jobs in Canada. OMERS Ventures is made up of people whose diverse backgrounds and skill sets come together to drive one common goal – supporting and growing the Canadian innovation economy.
Associates play a critical role on the investment team. Reporting into the Management team, you will be involved in conducting industry specific research as well as identifying, meeting and vetting high potential companies and contributing to investment decisions. You will build strong relationships with the portfolio companies and act as a trusted advisor after investment to ensure their ongoing growth and success.
What You’ll Do
- Identify and build relationships with high potential start-ups in the North American technology industry
- Evaluate potential investments by conducting financial and operational due diligence, market research, competitive analysis, and product/technology analysis
- Engage in open, thoughtful dialogue with the investment committee on potential investments
- Work with portfolio companies to provide support and guidance on financial reporting, strategy, network building and other activities to accelerate growth and performance
- Participate in all fund management activities, including reporting, capital calls, etc.
- Attend seminars, conferences and other events to create a large network of technology executives, entrepreneurs, venture capitalists and others within the industry
- Act as a thought leader in the industry by speaking at events/conferences, and writing opinion pieces and blogs
To succeed in this role, you
Who You Are
Your opinions on industry trends, new technology and what the next “big thing” will be are informed by in-depth research and analysis. You are able to quickly build trusting and mutually beneficial relationships. You are intrinsically motivated to succeed and have a genuine desire to help others achieve their goals as well. You are passionate about the Canadian start-up ecosystem and want to contribute to its growth and success.
What You Bring To The Table
- Operational experience in a high-growth technology company OR a minimum of three years of consistent, progressive career growth in the venture capital or private equity industries focused on technology
- An extensive network in the start-up community and a desire to cultivate new relationships
- A passion for technology demonstrated by in-depth knowledge of current and emerging innovations and the ability to spot trends
- Clear and concise communication skills
- Strong research, analytical and financial modeling skills
If interested, please apply here.