NCAF is the country’s fifth largest angel investor group and is composed of three early-stage investment funds and corresponding management companies. Together, these funds have over 240 individual investor members, $20M+ under management, and have deployed an additional $20M+ in direct sidecar investments. The membership is comprised of many of Northeast Ohio’s leading investors, entrepreneurs, physicians, and business people. Over the past 12 years, NCAF has invested in 53 high-potential, Ohio-based, early-stage companies (software, life sciences, advanced materials, electronics and controls). JumpStart is a significant partner and has provided ongoing support for the Funds’ activities. NCAF is preparing to launch a fourth fund and corresponding management company.
North Coast Venture Fund:
NCVF is a separate fund that invests after the traditional angel phase, at a point when high-growth technology companies have demonstrated meaningful progress and articulated a credible plan to use larger amounts of capital to continue growth. NCVF has $15M under management and is preparing to launch a second fund and corresponding management company.
Investment Associate Position Summary:
The Investment Associate will be a valuable member of a small and fast-paced team. The position will be full-time. This person interact with the fund managers, investor members and CEOs of portfolio companies to ensure all aspects of deal intake, screening, due diligence and portfolio support activities are successfully executed.
Primary responsibilities will include:
- Nurture a pipeline of deals and co-investors
- Lead deal-intake process
- Pre-screen and evaluate investment opportunities (via written applications and in-person / remote presentations)
- Present deal review summaries at weekly meetings with NCAF managers
- Coordinate and moderate monthly Investment Screening Committee meetings with investor members.
- Lead due diligence projects with investor member teams (research, data, recommendations)
- Assist companies in preparing for presentations at monthly member meetings.
- Execute ‘post investment support checklist’ of activities to officially bring the company into the portfolio support system.
Competencies – Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Excellent quantitative, financial, and analytical skills
- Ability to look at both the big picture and granular details
- Self starter with the ability to work autonomously and with limited direction while effectively managing multiple projects concurrently
- Strong interest in innovation, entrepreneurship, and how a business should effectively function
- Strong business judgment, ability to articulate analysis or opportunity, and draw conclusions of investment opportunities, including specific transaction execution and portfolio management situations
- Flexible, assertive, and collaborative team player
- Excellent interpersonal skills, professional standards, and relationship-building ability
- Active knowledge of Excel, PowerPoint, Word
- Comfortable doing market research, interviews, and write-ups
- Great tenacity in seeing projects through to completion
- High tolerance for ambiguity and uncertainty
- High integrity
- Assertive, self-initiator, entrepreneurial
- Ask questions, get answers, don’t wait
- Make suggestions, don’t be afraid or passive
- Ability to engage with NCAF management, members and entrepreneurs
- The individual must be able to work independently, with minimal supervision and meet the needs of both organizations. The candidate must be a clear communicator, willing to ask questions and be solutions oriented.
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- Strong project management skills.
- 2-5 years of experience.
- Must have the flexibility to work extended hours when required.
- The position will involve handling multiple tasks and seeing them through to completion with minimal supervision.
- Must be able to take initiative and leadership, and have confidence in managing more senior level people. Must be able to pull together busy people and use their time wisely while accomplishing objectives needed.
- Must be punctual, responsive to requests, and able to meet deadlines.
- Excellent attention to detail and ability to perform tasks with a high degree of accuracy
- Competitive salary
- Unique experience and networking through direct exposure to a large number of early-stage entrepreneurs and investors
- Monthly parking pass
If interested, please apply here.