NJEDA (LinkedIn, Crunchbase): The Venture Associate plays a crucial supporting role to the Technology and Life Sciences Division’s Venture Officers. This support includes but is not limited to, identifying industry trends, new lead generation, portfolio & incentives management, and event organization.
- Reviews online data bases including Crunchbase, Gust, PE Hub, VC Wire, etc. for new business opportunities, conducts preliminary research, and distributes qualified leads to the Venture Officers.
- Performs an annual portfolio cash flow review comprising various historical and current TLS initiatives.
- Manages the TLS warrant database and monitors warrant expiration timelines. Follows up directly with clients for information relevant to exercising outstanding warrants, completes recommendation for Manager and files all documents accordingly, and updates all logs.
- Provides a first draft of operating and/or delegated authority memos to support the Venture Officers with managing the requests of current portfolio companies.
- Prepares the quarterly clean energy portfolio reports for distribution to EDA management and the NJ Board of Public Utilities.
- Monitors the review of the NOL and the Angel Tax Credit mailbox for inquiries and works with the appropriate Venture Officer/Venture Analyst to administer the program including, but not limited to, logging and reviewing applications preparing approval packages, and preparing the quarterly approval delegation memo.
- Serves as the supporting calling officer for the Venture Officer on initial prospect calls and portfolio management calls and Inputs and or links all company information and related contacts into a CRM (Salesforce) and assures accuracy of all data. As needed provides critical follow up and support information from initial calls – including but not limited to making key linkages in the NJ tech ecosystem.
- Supports the planning and execution of the semi-annual Founders & Funders event as directed.
- Represents the TLS team of the NJEDA at various tech meetups and networking events, and is comfortable in speaking about the various financing programs offered.
- Supports varying projects to advance the business goals of the TLS Department as requested by the Program Manager.
- Promotes teamwork and communication to encourage an interactive, cooperative, collaborative and customer focused work environment among division, EDA staff and external customers
- Performs other duties and special projects, as assigned.
Required Skills and Abilities
- Demonstrated familiarity and interest in the technology entrepreneurial community, including accelerators, meet-ups, and early stage capital investing (i.e. Angel Investments, Strategic Investments and Venture Investments)
- Demonstrated ability to understand the business model for early stage technology companies and their specific needs
- Exceptional written, oral, interpersonal and presentation skills and the ability to effectively interface with a broad range of audiences including senior management, business and industry partners, as well as individual customers and prospects
- Must be a critical thinker and possess rigorous analytical capabilities
- Solutions-oriented, good attention to detail and follow-up
- Ability to work independently and process multiple complex projects while prioritizing workflow
- Ability to learn and understand EDA and State programs which support the technology community
- Strong work ethic, ability to be proactive and responsive in a team environment
- Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing; proficient in grammar, spelling and editing; and foster communications with business professionals and EDA staff
- Ability to prioritize workload, must be highly organized, detail-oriented, handle various tasks simultaneously and work independently within limited time constraints with little or no supervision
- Must be able to maintain confidentiality and deal effectively and diplomatically with business professionals and EDA staff
- Demonstrates respectful behavior and promotes teamwork and communication to encourage an interactive, cooperative, collaborative and customer focused work environment among division, EDA staff and external customers
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite and the ability to learn new software packages
Education and Experience Requirements
- At a minimum a Bachelor’s Degree in Business Administration, in Finance, preferably an MBA in Finance, and/or 1-3 years in venture capital, or equity research
- Experience in financial analysis
- Demonstrated track record of strong academic performance
If interested, please apply here.