Maven Ventures is a leading seed venture fund investing in emerging software startups that positively impact the lives of millions of consumers. The Maven team identifies future consumer trends that will change the way we communicate and live, then invests in great founders with a vision worth fighting for. We’ve already invested in what we foresee as some of the game-changing trends of the future like self-driving cars, novel marketplaces, the future of retail, and digital health. Some of our recent notable investments include: Cruise Automation (acquired by GM for $1B+), Zoom ($1B valuation), and Chariot (acquired by Ford). The current Maven team includes Jim Scheinman (Founding Managing Partner), Sara Deshpande (Partner) and Robert Ravanshenas (Senior Associate).
We are seeking a versatile, driven, and detail-oriented Analyst or Associate to join our small, high-performing team. There are always new and exciting challenges generated by the daily roller coaster ride of Silicon Valley startups and their investors, and we need someone who can adapt to this ebb and flow and not be limited by the job description. Key elements of the role include:
- Event Coordination
- Run Maven’s annual Hypergrowth Retreat, the premier event for consumer startups seeking to achieve hypergrowth. This includes: vendor management, speaker procurement/communications, content curation, ticket sales, and sponsorship sales.
- Plan ad hoc events for the Maven Community and portfolio companies such as Apple/Google app store office hours, happy hours, and other social and networking events
- Marketing Management
- Manage the Maven Ventures Blog: coordinate a content schedule, revise/update/strengthen partners’ thought pieces, post content to relevant channels (Maven site, LinkedIn, Medium), and work with partners to promote through the right distribution networks
- Oversee the Maven social media channels (Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, and AngelList) to ensure the Maven brand is an active participant in timely online conversations in the Venture Capital and broader technology ecosystem
- Draft, design, and distribute monthly community newsletters by staying up to date on portfolio company news and updates
- Coordinate speaking opportunities for firm partners’ to broaden the strength of the Maven brand at incubators, conferences, and events
- Keep the Maven Ventures website up to date alongside our web design and development team
- Draft other communications as needed, such as limited partner memos or portfolio outreach
- Investment Support
- Support investment execution by drafting investment memos, participating in founder pitch meetings, and supporting other diligence and research needs
- Work with startups and their counsels to manage deal execution, including getting legal documents signed
- Keep the Maven investment pipeline up to date by consistently adding details on the status of conversations between the Maven team and founders
- Attend events and conferences to help meet new founders to bolster the Maven investment pipeline
- Strengthen the Maven investment theses in focus areas through market research and analysis
- Fundraising Support
- Manage the fundraising process by keeping the potential Limited Partner CRM up to date and ensuring no follow ups slip through the cracks
- Prepare the Maven Partners for fundraising meetings
- Keep all Maven documents – portfolio one pager, fundraising deck, etc. – up to date
More About The Ideal Candidate
The Maven team is small, nimble, and always willing to pitch in and do what it takes to succeed across all levels of the organization. We are looking for someone who will fit into a can-do team environment and encapsulates the following Maven core values and characteristics we require from all team members:
- Collaborative – We are not political. We are willing to share praise, and be honest and transparent with each other.
- No jerks – We are happy, positive, and fun to work with.
- Accountable – We are high-performing, get stuff done, and value attention to detail.
- Curious – We are always willing to learn. We are knowledgeable and strive to be experts in our field.
- Self-starters – We take initiative, work autonomously, and are resourceful.
You might be right for this role if:
- You have 2+ years of prior experience in the technology, investing, or investment advisory fields
- You relish in the fact that job descriptions (this one included) are just a guideline; on our small, nimble team various unforeseen needs arise and you’re ready and excited to tackle them
- You are eager to solve ambiguous analytical problems and are intellectually fascinated with discussing social trends from a business perspective
- You communicate clearly and feel comfortable discussing processes that you may not have prior experience working on (legal, finance, accounting)
- You enjoy networking and maintaining relationships with external contacts
- You can can run a project successfully by managing a tight timeline, strict budget, and sundry vendors without letting any details slip through the cracks
- You can juggle many tasks at the same time and prioritization is second nature
- You can work independently and are a self starter
- Your professional writing skills are top-notch and you can skillfully craft clear, concise business communications
Please use this form to apply, and kindly submit your application by 11:59pm PST on Thursday, May 31st.