The mission of the Associate role is to help Lewis & Clark Ventures identify, research, and analyze the highest-potential prospective investments for the fund. The role takes a lead in understanding markets and discovering spaces ripe for venture investment, identifying potential investments, and documenting the investment decision making process. The Associate is a member of the investment team and is thus active in all aspects of the fund, working closely with members of the team and with portfolio company leaders. He or she will be expected to establish close and lasting relationships with key influencers entrepreneurs, investors, service providers – between the coasts.
- Deal Flow: Proactively source and screen potential companies in which to invest based on the fund’s established criteria. This includes finding and building relationships with entrepreneurs, analyzing business plans, updating information in internal systems, participating in deal flow meetings, creating detailed financial models and other supporting documentation per the fund’s process, meeting and interviewing management, customers, suppliers, and industry experts, and summarizing all diligence efforts.
- Building Themes/Theses: Lewis & Clark has a thesis-driven approach to investing. The Associate will be tasked with developing new themes / theses and finding the best companies in these spaces. Thesis development includes secondary research, building and maintaining relationships with key opinion leaders in the sectors being studied, and creating and publishing reports such as white papers and blogs.
- Making the Case for Investments: A core responsibility of the Associate is to build fact patterns and argue with confidence for and against potential investments. Our process is highly deliberative. Every member of the team is expected to bring thoughtful and nuanced opinions to table.
- Business Development: Prospect for potential investments using various direct methods such as calling, face to face meetings, and indirect methods such as networking. Must be willing to travel 30 50%.
Additional General Responsibilities:
- Support portfolio companies with ad hoc industry, competitor, or financial analyses; and in select cases join company boards as an observer
- Assist with quarterly and annual reporting documents
- Refine and optimize internal processes
- Become an active participant in the early-stage technology ecosystem between the coasts
- Create or assist with fund marketing efforts, whether it be social media, blog posts, newsletters, or formal reports
- Support fundraising and investor relations activities
We believe people from very diverse backgrounds could succeed in the Associate role. You may have been (among other things):
- A top contributor in a functional role (sales, marketing, product, engineering) within a high-growth startup
- An analyst or associate in investment banking, management consulting or private equity
- An entrepreneur
- A law student who decided you didn’t want to be a lawyer, or a Ph.D. candidate who decided you didn’t want to be an academic
Regardless of your background, to succeed in the Associate role, you’ll have:
- A track record of extraordinary professional, academic, and extracurricular achievement
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- The ability to connect and leave a favorable impression with people from all backgrounds and walks of life
- A demonstrated interest in venture capital and technology
- First-rate analytical skills and careful attention to detail
- A high level of familiarity with financial statements and the ability to build a three statement financial model
- Comfort working in a relatively unstructured environment
- A naturally curious mind
If interested, please apply here.