Humanity United is a foundation dedicated to bringing new approaches to global problems that have long been considered intractable. We build, lead, and support efforts to change the systems that contribute to problems like human trafficking, mass atrocities, and violent conflict. HU is part of The Omidyar Group, a diverse collection of organizations, each guided by its own approach, but united by a common desire to catalyze social impact.
The Associate working within HU’s Working Capital Fund, will support the team in a wide range of responsibilities related to deal sourcing, due diligence, portfolio management, and LP reporting. With the rest of the team, the Associate will work with the overarching objective of identifying and investing in businesses that have the potential to scale and meaningfully improve labor conditions in global supply chains.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
Deal Sourcing and Due Diligence
- Screening prospect companies for market potential, social impact and financial viability
- Interacting with management teams to evaluate and develop nuanced understanding of business risks and opportunities
- Performing market and competitive analysis
- Developing due diligence plan to answer key questions and refine assumptions, gather due diligence materials, extract data from company business plans, term sheets, legal documents, etc. for the valuation process and enter respective data into the Fund’s internal financial model
- Performing detailed business model review, documenting fundamental assumptions for growth and risk factors
- Build internal financial models and conducting valuation and returns analysis
- Support prospecting for prospective portfolio companies through networking, participation in events, market landscaping, etc.
- Supporting term sheet discussions and negotiations with business model and valuation analysis (including pre-and-post money capitalization tables)
- Drafting investment memorandum for Limited Partners and investment committee, summarizing the investment thesis and due diligence results, including building an internal financial model (with full pricing assumptions, income statement and cash flow forecast), sensitivity analysis and valuation analysis
- Provide continued analytical support of investment through the term sheet and closing process, including on-going data collection post-term sheet execution, disclosure schedule review and continued evaluation to ensure the accuracy and validity of supplied information relative to internal analysis
- Reviewing legal documents from current and prior financings to confirm terms and understand governance dynamics
- Providing operational support throughout closing process
Ongoing Portfolio Management
- Supporting staff by preparing weekly pipeline reports for team meetings, monthly portfolio reports including summary pipeline statistics, individual deal updates, and portfolio asset management dashboard reports for executive management and quarterly limited partner reports for meetings with the LP advisory board or individual calls
- Monitoring portfolio companies’ key performance indicators and milestones to evaluate progress, assess follow-on investment potential, and identify changes in business or market fundamentals
- Interface with portfolio companies to maintain a detailed portfolio dashboard on a quarterly basis – gather and monitor monthly, quarterly and yearly financial data and review detailed updated financial forecasts and comparison to board-approved budgets
- Interface with portfolio companies to gather and maintain quarterly and yearly social impact data and PRI compliance metrics
- Providing periodic business and social impact updates to the HU executive management team
- Conducting financial and portfolio performance analysis and preparing quarterly LP reports
- Social impact data aggregation and reporting
- Updating relevant documents
- Maintaining accurate and organized records
EDUCATION / EXPERIENCE / REQUIRED SKILLS:
- Bachelor’s degree with three to five years of experience at a financial institution – MBA preferred, including:
- 1-2 years of professional experience in financial modeling and training at investment bank or financial institution
- 1-3 years of professional experience in deal sourcing, execution and ongoing portfolio management at a venture capital or private equity fund
- Strong orientation to accuracy and detail – proven analytical and project management skills are critical
- Ability to understand business narratives through historical financial statements and forecast growth based on informed assumptions – comprehensive understanding of accounting principles and financial statement literacy is essential, including ratio analysis of expense categories, growth rate assumptions and dynamic pricing models.
- Deep understanding of financial modeling and various valuation techniques
- Excellent written and oral communications, with the ability to present deals to other team members after self-driven deal sourcing and due diligence
- Team-player, low-ego, with the ability to collaborate with multiple stakeholders with different incentives and from different sectors
- Ability to work with limited supervision and high levels of initiative – must thrive in a fast-paced entrepreneurial environment handling multiple projects at any given time
If interested, please apply here.