The Investment Associate will be a member of the investment team, with previous venture capital or consulting experience and a background in digital consumer businesses, ideally with some exposure to financial services. The Investment Associate will participate in the end-to-end sourcing and execution of deals, as well as post-close engagement in on-going relationships, and the on-going processes of the venture group. In addition, as a member of the Ventures team, this role will help to develop key strategic themes for investment in partnership with the businesses.
The position is located in London, with frequent travel, including within Europe and to the US.
- Partner internally with the businesses to understand and inform their strategy, evaluate specific opportunities, gain business sponsorship, and identify specific activities to deliver strategic value.
- Assist in development of strategic themes and actionable investment thesis in areas of strategic relevance, in collaboration with the businesses and rest of the Ventures’ team.
- Network externally to generate deal flow and relationships.
- Assist in preliminary due diligence on specific opportunities to assess attractiveness.
- Assist in preparation of review materials, updates, and Investment Memos for Ventures’ governing bodies, including Investment Committee, Venture Advisory Board, and Functional Review Board.
- Manage deal tracking and reporting.
- Conduct research on industry sectors, specific companies, and venture activity.
- Communicate successfully with entrepreneurs, management teams, syndicate partners, and other stakeholders, including attorneys, advisors, consultants, and Board Members.
- Represent Munich Re / HSB Ventures at various corporate venture capital, investment, and innovation conferences and topical industry events.
Plus any additional duties and responsibilities that may reasonably be expected to be undertaken in accordance with the role.
Key Skills and Experience:
- The successful candidate will have strong analytical business experience and a passion for new technology and engaging in the start-up community.
- Strategic Vision & Passion for Creating the Future: To be effective in this role requires gaining an understanding of HSB’s and Munich Re’s global insurance and reinsurance businesses, including business models, drivers of economic value, the insurance value chain, competition, risk transfer mechanisms and products, and regulatory environment. Individuals must be able to then build upon this knowledge to envision alternative futures and growth strategies and specific tactical paths to getting there, based on emerging trends, market dynamics, and evolving customer needs and partner opportunities.
- Intellectual Curiosity: This role requires an innate and insatiable intellectual curiosity about business, technology, and business models. Active and constant monitoring and engagement with the innovation ecosystem is essential.
- Strong Analytical Skills: Candidates must have requisite financial and investment analysis and research skills.
- Superior Visual & Written Communication Skills: This role requires the ability to sift through large quantities of information, both quantitative and qualitative, identify the salient points, and then communicate them in the appropriate form in a succinct and elegant story or case.
- Superb Communicator & Relentless Networker: The position requires a high level of communication, influence and interpersonal skills in order to network, navigate, and execute internally with cross-functional teams and externally with multiple stakeholders and partners.
- Disciplined Adaptable Tactician: This role requires strong execution and follow-through in emergent and uncertain situations. The ability to be adaptable and problem solve in the face of evolving internal and external stakeholder agendas and changing priorities is critical.
Requirements and Qualifications:
- 3 + years of experience, including 1-2 years in venture capital, investment banking, strategy consulting, or business / corporate development
- Experience working in digital consumer businesses
- MBA required
- Knowledge and fluency in emerging technology and business models in sectors relevant to HSB & Munich Re
- Superior oral, written and visual communication skills
- Superior proactive networking and relationship development skills
- Proven teamwork skills both as a leader and cross-functional team member
- Self motivated with high initiative
- Willing to travel 15-20% of the time including internationally
If interested, please apply here.