Hone Capital was established in 2015 and has invested over $100M in early to growth stage startups in the technology sector. Hone’s investment approach is distinguished by its emphasis on investing via external partners (syndicate leads) and its data-driven methodology using multiple machine learning and other quantitative models. Among Hone’s 300+ investments to date are Boom, Carbon Black, Checkr, Roofstock, Grove Collaborative, and Starsky Robotics.
As the scale of our activity continues to grow, we have decided to add a new member to join our small investment team. Given our multi-faceted approach, you will have the opportunity to go beyond the challenges of traditional VC associates – that might involve data science, fundraising, cross-border portfolio support, or negotiating contracts.
We are looking for a driven individual with a demonstrated passion for technology and a deep curiosity around data-driven insights; someone who is a systems thinker but also has the flexibility to navigate ever-changing environments.
- Designing and implementing portfolio management systems to track and assess the growing portfolio
- Evaluating potential investments by conducting due diligence, which can vary based on key identified risks
- Assisting in fundraising and fund management
- Building relationships with entrepreneurs, syndicate leads, and other VC firms
- Contributing to the design and execution of proprietary analytics tools
- 2+ years of work experience, either at a high-growth tech startup, in tech-focused finance, OR at a biotech company
- A demonstrated passion for technology, whether in general or in particular
- Analytical rigor, with the ability to analyze market sizing, financial models, and competitive dynamics
- A talent for bringing process and organization to previously unstructured environments
- An ability to conduct strong quantitative analysis (including use of tools like Excel and Tableau)
- An ability to communicate clearly and create polished presentations
- A self-directed nature, adept at assessing multiple priorities simultaneously
- As a bonus, have broad biotechnology/life sciences knowledge AND/OR have programming experience – whether for software development or data analysis
To apply, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line: “ASSOCIATE – [insert your name here]”
In your email, please attach a resume, cover letter (links to any relevant online presence and/or writing would be good to include), and your answer to the following question (500 words max):
- What company (or category) should we invest in and why?