At FinTech Collective, we are in the business of reimagining how money moves through the world. Financial services represents 10-20% of global GDP and permeates almost every aspect of our consumer and corporate lives.
We have 35 companies in the portfolio and invest globally across developed markets where trillion-dollar industries are making the shift to digital and emerging markets where the next two billion people are rising into a spending middle class.
Companies in our portfolio include
- A payments infrastructure company in Africa enabling the shift from cash to cards and digital payments
- An investing platform enabling retail investors in China to invest directly in fractional shares of the US stock market
- A digital payroll and benefits software company for small businesses in Latin America
- A digital challenger bank that serves 5 million middle-income Americans with mobile-only banking, credit, investing, and financial education
- A workflow automation platform that is simplifying post-trade processes for capital markets using distributed ledger technology
Founded in 2012 by serial operators with a twenty-year track record together, FinTech Collective invests earlier than most institutional investors and brings active management and unique connectivity to its CEOs.
We have had five exits, including Plaid, which Visa recently announced it is acquiring for $5.3 billion. Of the 22 companies in our portfolio that we’ve held for more than 18 months, 11 are valued at more than $100m (from a median first-check valuation of below $7.5m).
We believe that success is infectious and that the journey should be interesting and fun.
ABOUT THE ROLE
FinTech Collective is seeking an Associate to join its team and help build a leading early stage venture capital firm. This is an opportunity to work in a highly entrepreneurial environment with individuals, who are passionate about finding and collaborating with talented entrepreneurs to turn their ideas into reality. Individuals who would thrive in our environment demonstrate a strong work ethic, self-motivation, intellectual curiosity, emotional intelligence and humility. They also take their work seriously but know how to have fun along the way.
The Associate will be an integral member of the investment team and will work on the full lifecycle of an investment from evaluating opportunities, conducting diligence, closing transactions and working with portfolio companies. The Associate will also work closely with members of the team to manage deal sourcing and pipeline, portfolio data and valuation, and investor requests. Lastly, the Associate will serve as a representative of the firm in the venture community.
The Associate’s responsibilities will broadly include:
- Review and screen prospective investment opportunities, including meeting with entrepreneurs
- Work closely with the investment team to assist in conducting diligence on investment opportunities
- Assist in deal negotiations, legal documentation and closing of transactions
- Assist in the preparation and presentation to the firm’s Investment Committee
- Assist in portfolio management including working with portfolio companies where needed, tracking operational and financial performance, and assisting in quarterly valuations
- Build a network within the venture / startup ecosystem
- Assist in preparing marketing materials and responding to investor requests
- Support the editorial and publishing process of the firm’s weekly newsletter, which has over 11,000 subscribers globally
- 2-4 years of work experience ideally at an investment bank, consulting firm, PE/VC firm and/or startup
- Exceptional analytical and critical thinking skills
- Strong financial analysis skills including modeling and the ability to understand key drivers / assumptions
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- High emotional intelligence and humility
- Self-starting, ambitious and a diligent work ethic
- Track record of demonstrating strong performance, commitment and leadership in previous endeavors
- Has worked on fun, interesting, possibly quirky side projects involving technology
Please submit a resume and cover note through a shared connection or directly to email@example.com. The cover letter should be brief, articulating your edge, describing what you think the role would be like in practice, and explaining an experience that you’ve had outside of work or school which you think has significantly shaped who you are today. Please include links to any social profiles.