We are excited to share that we are adding an associate to the F-Prime Capital tech team. We love what we do and we’re psyched to add another talented, interesting and inspiring person to the team. If you love technology, want to work with amazing entrepreneurs and think you can be a great investor; then read more, apply below and we look forward to meeting you.
Want to know more about F-Prime Capital? F-Prime Capital has its roots in one of America’s great entrepreneurial success stories – Fidelity Investments. For almost fifty years, we have had the privilege of backing great entrepreneurs building iconic companies in technology and healthcare, including Atari, MCI, Nuance, Alibaba and Ultragenyx. Today, F-Prime and our international sister fund, Eight Road Ventures, have become one of the largest global VC firms in the world with 200 portfolio companies and 50 investment professionals.
We’re proud of our 50-year history, but hey, a lot has happened in just the last year! We were thrilled to see Kensho become one of the largest VC-backed Fintech acquisitions (S&P Global $530M) and to help several of our early investments grow into category leaders like Flywire in international payments ($100M financing led by Temasek) and Toast in restaurant software and POS ($115M raised at a $1.4B valuation). We are equally excited to have backed several new companies that we believe will re-define their markets like Unison(residential housing co-investments), Benchling (bioinformatics SaaS) and Threat Stack (secure cloud infrastructure).
And while we think that is awesome, it’s hard not to be impressed with our Healthcare team that has enjoyed eight IPOs and acquisitions in just the past two years. Denali Therapeutics, Mersana, Surface, Unum…oh, the list is long.
What is the role? Associates have a tremendous amount of freedom and responsibility on our team. We expect a lot, but in return you will have wide autonomy as an active participant across the full range of investment activities. We will ensure you have mentorship and the best of a VC apprenticeship while getting areas to own and lead early in your role. You will be a full part of the investment decision-making process and quickly learn your insights and judgment are valued.
And yes, you will live all parts of venture capital:
- Source: Identify and generate investment opportunities on behalf of the tech team. We receive a lot of referrals, but often our best opportunities come from entrepreneurs we know or proactive outreach to startups we recognize are doing something great.
- Evaluate: Conduct sector and company due diligence in the form of customer interviews, market analysis and financial modeling. You will do a lot as we look at investments, but our best insights come from proactively learning about a sector ahead of the times we invest and we encourage associates to dive into their own pre-emptive research on areas of interest.
- Support: Support entrepreneurs as they grow their companies. There will be many opportunities to dive in, get to know the teams and help our portfolio companies. Often it will be one-off projects, but we also create short, defined, full-time roles with portfolio companies when the fit is there.
- Reflect: Analyze our portfolio performance and help us reflect, learn and improve as investors.
What are you like? Our associates have strong analytical abilities and are intellectually curious. They are humble and collaborative – befitting the ethos of the fund – and possess well-developed communications and interpersonal skills, in addition to having a high degree of empathy for early-stage entrepreneurs and the risks they take. High IQ and EQ are critical.
We are sector specialists and strive to know our domains deeply. Associates should have a solid foundation in technology, ideally in enterprise software or Fintech/financial services through business experience in management consulting, venture capital or operating companies/ start-ups.
What’s our team like? We are a team of seasoned operators and investors who are analytically-minded and thesis-driven. We love big markets and big ideas, but we also love nuanced insights from entrepreneurs who re-think conventions and find the white space in existing markets. We roll up our sleeves and engage while being collaborative and ultimately respectful of the founder’s position. Our team is approachable and consistently seen as thoughtful, domain experts. Though we are part of a large global brand that grants us an international perspective and community, we’re a tight-knit, hungry team that often feels like family. Please pass the falafel Shervin.
What else do you need to know? The role is a minimum two-year commitment. We are open to this becoming a Partner-track position, but we generally support your transition into a portfolio company or to graduate school. F-Prime associates have a strong track record of admittance to the leading business schools in the country.
- Bachelor’s Degree/ Master’s degree from a top-tier school with excellent performance, preferably in computer science or engineering
- 2-4 years of progressive work experience, ideally in management consulting, but possibly in an operating role, technology development, or tech M&A / corporate development
- Solid understanding of enterprise software or Fintech
- Solid network in Boston, New York or the Bay area. Position could be in either Boston or the Bay Area.
- [Extra Credit] Early-stage start-up experience as Founder or early employee
How do you apply?
- Submit a resume and any links to your writings to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Submit a video about why you want to join F-Prime Capital as an Associate (<1 minute)