Correlation Ventures, a U.S.-based venture capital firm with over $360M assets under management, has pioneered the use of predictive analytics in the venture capital industry. The firm is investing out of its second fund, which was oversubscribed at $200M and closed in 2016. The firm leverages world-class analytics to offer entrepreneurs and other venture capitalists a dramatically better option when they are seeking additional capital to complete a financing round. For example, the firm makes investment decisions in two weeks or less.
The firm invests across all industry segments, U.S. geographies and investment stages — from seed through late stage. Currently, the firm manages a portfolio of over 150 active companies and has co-invested with over 200 different venture capital firms, including virtually all of the VC industry’s top tier funds and many excellent smaller up-and-coming firms. Selected portfolio companies include: AlienVault, Bluevine Capital, Casper, Optimizely, Personal Capital, Sun Basket, Synthorx, and Upstart.
The firm’s limited partners include leading endowments, foundations, pensions, family offices, and high-net-worth individuals, including over 30 venture capital peers who invested personally. The firm has offices in the Bay Area, New York City, and San Diego.
- Work with Managing Directors, other team members and advisors, and independently to source new investment opportunities. Channels for sourcing will include, but not be limited to, attending conferences, blogs and social media, scheduling and fielding calls with prospect companies, and professional networking.
- Build, grow and maintain collaborative relationships with peers at other venture capital firms.
- Vet investment opportunities to ensure they pass certain minimum criteria.
- Participate in evaluation of investment opportunities, including gathering due diligence materials, extracting data from business plans, term sheets, legal documents, etc. for the evaluation process and entering the data on prospects in the firm’s proprietary analytical framework.
- Prepare draft investment recommendation documents summarizing the investment thesis and due diligence on an investment opportunity.
- Assist Managing Directors and team in virtually all aspects of the firm’s sourcing activities including:
- Designing and executing sourcing campaigns targeted at specific industry sectors or U.S. geographies;
- Evaluating the current channels for deal flow generation and investigating methodologies and tools to enhance and optimize them further;
- Identifying prospective investment opportunities by monitoring industry sources of deal flow and data (DowJones Venture Source, VentureWire, Primack Term Sheet, CrunchBase, etc.);
- Assisting with other marketing activities, such as industry analyses and public relations and social media marketing approaches;
- Enhancing the firm’s Customer Relationship Management (CRM) system including VC industry contacts and active and prospective company targets; and
- Brainstorming with other members of the sourcing team to identify and test new sourcing tactics.
- Work with Correlation’s portfolio companies to add value in key areas to include fundraising and recruiting.
- Existing network of relationships in the VC and/or entrepreneurial communities in the San Francisco Bay Area and/or ideally nationally
- Skill(s) of potential value to early stage venture-funded companies (e.g., customer acquisition, social media marketing, recruiting, etc.)
- Thrives in a start-up type environment, where each individual is critical and often asked to wear many hats
- Excellent professional networking abilities
- Strong verbal and writing skills, and the demonstrated ability to communicate at all levels from the CEO to individual contributors
- Exceptional organizational skills, productivity and ability to juggle multiple projects
- Outstanding work ethic and “get it done” attitude
- Strong analytical skill set and capabilities
- Strong attention to detail and insistence on accurate, high-quality deliverables
- Flexibility, gets along well with colleagues, customers, and business partners
- Highly comfortable and proficient with MS office applications (in particular Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, Word) and ideally CRM systems such as Salesforce or ACT!
- College degree – BA or BS degree from top college or university with demonstrated strong academic performance (Note: This is a pre-MBA role, MBA applicants will not be considered)
- 4+ years of work experience in a high-performing professional work environment preferred
- Prior operating experience at a successful venture-backed consumer or technology company and/or experience at a venture capital firm, a plus
- The candidate will work out of the firm’s Bay Area office, currently in San Francisco, and will also likely spend time occasionally in an office Correlation maintains in Palo Alto as well as at an accelerator where Correlation is a sponsor.
- The candidate will report to and be mentored by one of the firm’s two co-founders/Managing Directors, who is a 20-year veteran of the VC industry and former entrepreneur, and manages that office.
- The candidate will also attend conferences and events throughout the Bay Area and also potentially on occasion, nationally. Certain events and projects will require participation outside of regular working hours including evenings and weekends
Qualified candidates are invited to submit a resume and letter of introduction for consideration to Margaret Roberts via firstname.lastname@example.org.