Comet Labs (LinkedIn, Crunchbase) is looking for a Healthcare Investment Associate to lead Comet’s activity in the healthcare space. The Investment Associate will enhance Comet’s investment thesis for “intelligent machines in healthcare,” work with the investment team to build dealflow and manage closing new investments, and support portfolio companies in their successful growth.
ABOUT THE ROLE:
Thesis Building (~20%)
– General Smarts — who is doing what? Research and identify larger trends within the AI and healthcare ecosystem.
– Portfolio Direction – build out an investment thesis based on Comet strategy and goals.
– Research on specific startups, due diligence, competitive analysis.- Speak with fellow investors about other companies they have seen in the same space, make reference calls with customers, write memos, negotiate terms.
Deal Sourcing (~40%)
– Create a steady pipeline to yield 3-6 months of dealflow- Meet with other VC’s, attend conferences, speak at events, reach out to “superconnectors”.
Portfolio Management (~10%)
– Maintain relationship with current portfolio companies (including asking them for things)- Documentation & record tracking (who is raising, who is getting ready to raise)- Collate learnings, and present findings in weekly investment meeting
– Some degree of “tinkering”
– Hands-on person who has run digital healthcare operations or a related business before.- Academic background in an engineering field (preferably machine learning, cs, and/or healthcare, biology biotech).- High capacity to be self-directed in setting up and maintaining structure for research and reporting processes.- Strong ability to rapidly research and understand a new sector and present clearly-written prospectus around technology strategy.- Deliberate attention to detail, a passion for learning new skills, comfortable working in a fast-paced environment.- Preferred experience working with early-stage companies, required interest in startups and entrepreneurship.- 1-2 years experience working at an early stage VC fund preferred.- If you’re the type of person who watches CEO or VC lectures or takes MOOC courses for fun, this role might be a good fit for you.
We expect a great deal from our investment team. We encourage all members of the team, regardless of title, to be able to independently develop theses, make investments, and work with startup founders.
Send your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with subject line “Healthcare Investment Associate” including a one-pager of due diligence research on any unfunded startup of your choice (doesn’t have to be in AI/robotics) – include your recommendation to invest or not.