Venturing plays a key role in BP’s strategy to tackle the dual challenge of meeting the world’s need for more energy, while at the same time reducing carbon emissions. BP Ventures has a track record of investing in disruptive innovation, creating value for BP across dynamic markets. Since 2007, Ventures will have invested over $500m in 50 entities, co-investing with more than 200 corporate and institutional venture capital groups.
By partnering with early and growth-stage start-ups and the venture capital and corporate venture capital community, the BP Ventures team accelerates the development of accretive and disruptive technologies for BP. The Ventures Team operates in highly dynamic internal and external markets, building and shaping options to create enhanced strategic and financial value for BP.
The Ventures Associate will report into a US-based Ventures Principal and will support the BP Ventures team with financial analysis and project management. The Ventures Associate will have the opportunity to work on multiple investment opportunities simultaneously and across the team’s investment areas.
Key accountabilities include:
Deal Origination Support:
- The Ventures Associate will be expected to attend conferences and network with the VC community to support the sourcing of deal flow strategic to BP
- Supports the tracking of investment deal-flow and related processes
Investment Structuring, Negotiation and Execution Support:
- Manages internal investment document workflow and reviews for GIAAP compliance
- Takes initiative for managing the financial model of investments for which the Ventures Associate is supporting with significant input from the investment lead
- Supports team members in the development of IMs (Information Memo), ATN (Authority to Negotiate) and EFM (Execute Finance Memorandum) documents
- Supports the investment lead on due diligence
- Completes ad-hoc data mining as required in support of due diligence, valuation and modelling
- Serves as the lead for progressing pre-equity opportunities within the region
- Support on exits of non-strategic investments and help to deliver financial value to BP by assisting the BP shareholder representative in liquidation events
- Internal Communications and External relationship management:Link to Group Technology communications team on newer platforms (e.g. Yammer)
- Assists in the preparation of predominantly internally facing communications, in support of the team and BU interfaces with BP (e.g. Downstream SET, AE ET, AMU, ABP, IST, etc.)
- Coordinate with communications to maintain the Ventures website and external communications material
- Single point in team for regional conference/ marketing support
- Responsible for setting-up team calls and other BP Ventures meetings, including portfolio reviews
Essential Education: Undergraduate degree in relevant field such as business, engineering, finance or science, with science or engineering degrees preferred
Essential experience and job requirements:
- Demonstrable understanding of finance and accounting achieved through reasonable experience working in a finance function and/or a professional accountancy qualification
- Advanced MS Excel modelling skills with an ability to take accountability for managing the financial model, including running high/medium/low scenarios
- Strong presentation and writing skills and ability to communicate complex information succinctly
- Experience in evaluating investment opportunities, including term sheets and investment structures; preference is given to individuals who have direct experience in evaluating venturing/ early-stage investments
- Manages several work streams with conflicting priorities
- Ability to work to tight deadlines and respond to changing requirements
- A strong team player able to interact with key players across Group Technology, Business Development and the relevant business units
- A natural intellectual curiosity, particularly around technology, a willingness to challenge the status quo and to have fun
We are a global energy business involved in every aspect of the energy system. We have 75,000 employees in 80 countries, working towards delivering light, heat and mobility to millions of people, every day. We are one of the very few companies equipped to solve some of the big complex challenges that matter for the future. We have a real contribution to make to the world’s ambition of a low carbon future. Join us, and be part of what we can accomplish together.
If interested, please apply here.