About The Role
As an Associate at Atlantic Food Labs, you will be an integer part of the AFL core team. You will help to identify the best ideas and consequently launch and accelerate the best food & health start-ups in the European ecosystem for Atlantic Food Labs. On top of that, you will gain deep insights into our diverse portfolio of early stage and growth companies, as well as into our company building process.
As an Associate you can expect on a daily basis to:
- Identify and source the latest upcoming trends in food, health & nutrition
- Explorate new areas of innovation in food, health & nutrition with the aim to potentially build a company based on the respective space
- Analyze and evaluate business ideas by conducting due diligence and reference calls, researching industry sectors, interviewing experts, potential founders and checking financial models
- Organize and attend pitch events for our portfolio, meet entrepreneurs, industry partners and build relationships with the ecosystem
- Take part in keeping our own investors informed by helping to prepare materials for quarterly updates and our annual meeting
- Support AFL’s portfolio companies as they grow their business (this can include supporting in financing rounds, analyzing competitors, market opportunities, etc.)
- Participation in all fields of portfolio management, such as initiating and managing strategic projects, business plan preparation, financial planning and reporting
- Preparation of market and competitor analysis to identify both organic and inorganic growth opportunities for our portfolio companies as well as company building projects
- Perform analyses for investment and M&A-transactions (support in commercial and/or financial due diligences, business plans, deal structures and contract designs)
- Active support of the creation of internal decision documents for both the management and shareholders of AFL
- Manage and further explore existing relationships with our industry partners to best help accelerate the growth and likelihood of success for our portfolio ventures
- Identify and build relationships with new partners who may help accelerate the growth and likelihood of success for our portfolio ventures
- Responsibility in assisting with business intelligence, process management and the creation of pitch decks / books
Desired skills and experiences:
- Outstanding university degree, Master’s degree desired, at minimum Bachelor degree within Business or Economics background
- 1 – 2 practical experience in a food or tech-startup, Company Builder, Strategy Consulting, Venture Capital or Investment Banking beneficial, no must
- ·Analytical skills – ability to quickly evaluate ideas, business models/financials/P&L, build forecasting models with various scenarios, develop unit metrics for any kind of business, etc.
- Willingness to perform, high professionalism and a strong team player
- Research skills – find and evaluate industry trends, companies as well as its competitors, develop hypothesis on how specific problems might be solved in the future by one or several companies
- Exceptional communication skills – effectively and succinctly communicating to all stakeholders of Atlantic Food Labs, as well as communicating findings and conclusions to the rest of the Atlantic Food Labs team, both verbally and in writing
- Previous team-leading and recruiting experience are a plus
- Proficient in MS Office and Google Sheets with an ability to break down and assess unstructured problems
- Strong enthusiasm for food, nutrition and health topics
- Fluent in German and English, additional languages are a plus
- An absolute “can do – entrepreneurial” attitude
- Strong communication skills desired (a “people’s person”), meaning an exceptional communicator, secure and convincing in all settings, effectively communicating to entrepreneurs, applicants, senior management of industry companies, partners, etc.
- Thrives in fast-paced and challenging environments
- Entrepreneurial in their way of work; simplifying processes, creative problem solving etc.
- Passionate about the ongoing nutritional transformation and startup environment
- Extremely curious about the food & health space, innovative approaches to the food industry new technologies, companies, business models, people and ways to create sustainable value
- Genuinely interested in understanding challenges that entrepreneurs in food- and tech-startups are facing
- The position begins September 2018
- To apply please submit your application (CV)
If interested, please apply here.