The Alaska Permanent Fund Corporation (“APFC”) manages the $66 billion Alaska Permanent Fund, a sovereign endowment established in 1976 to provide for all current and future generations of Alaskans. We are growing and are looking to add several high caliber associates to our Private Markets team. Below you will find the basic Responsibilities and Qualifications for these positions, in addition to overviews of the two primary Private Markets asset classes we are hiring for.
The associate is responsible for assisting the Director and Portfolio Managers in the identification, evaluation, selection, and monitoring of investments in their respective portfolios. APFC expects that an associate will focus on a particular asset class (Private Equity & Special Opportunities or Private Income & Absolute Return), but due to the small, collegial nature of the team will have opportunity to work across Private Markets. The Private Markets team focuses on building diversified portfolios through fund investments, co-investments, and direct investments. By combining best-in-class manager selection with the ability to strategically deploy capital into attractive opportunities, the Private Markets team seeks to deliver accretive risk-adjusted returns over the long term.
- Support the sourcing, execution, and monitoring of fund commitments, co-investments, and direct investments across strategies and industries
- Assist in the evaluation of prospective investment opportunities, including; valuation, market trends, competition, and key investment risks and merits
- Develop quantitative models to assess potential investments, investment themes, portfolio construction, and investment pacing
- Conduct research on investment themes and perform special projects as needed
- Prepare materials for, and participate in, internal meetings and external due diligence
- Monitor current investments and maintain internal pipeline and investment reports
- Prepare quarterly board meeting material and assist with accounting, finance, or administration functions when needed
- Develop and maintain relationships with industry participants including other limited partners, general partners, and industry experts
- Screen new opportunities and recommend funds for which full due diligence should be conducted with the assistance, if needed, of external advisors
The successful candidate will have the following qualities:
- Self-motivation and very strong sense of personal and professional integrity
- Intellectual curiosity and excellent attention to detail
- Humility, tenacity, and professional flexibility
- A belief that great outcomes come from great teams; a demonstrated ability to collaborate well in a small, informal team environment
- Strong commitment to APFC’s vision and its shared values of integrity, stewardship and passion
APFC seeks to hire individuals who are highly motivated, have demonstrated excellence in prior endeavors, and have the following qualifications:
- A bachelor’s degree and 2-3 years of directly relevant work experience
- Sound working knowledge of portfolio management, business strategy, transaction execution (M&A), capital markets, accounting, and private equity or hedge fund investments
- Ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously and meet tight deadlines
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- High level proficiency in mathematics, Microsoft Excel, and financial modeling
- Ability to perform cash flow, valuation, and capital structure analysis
- Effective presentation skills
- Exceptional critical thinking skills
- Interest in a post-graduate degree or advanced professional designation (e.g., CFA)
- Direct investment or manager selection experience in private markets or hedge funds
- Associate – APFC will consider candidates with the required and preferred qualifications
- Senior Associate – APFC will consider candidates that exceed the required qualifications and can be expected to demonstrate excellence in the key responsibilities.
If interested, please apply here.