14W is a venture capital firm focused on consumer Mobile, Web, E-commerce, CPG, and Media. The firm’s partners are successful natives of the media, retail and technology industries and have proven track records identifying and actively building early and mid-stage opportunities. 14W portfolio companies include Wallapop, Letgo, Everlane, The Reformation, Moda Operandi, The RealReal, Goop, Glossier, Food52, Outdoor Voices and others. 14W is based in NYC and has invested over $250 million since 2010.
We are seeking a full-time Associate to join us.
We are looking for a smart, motivated, hands-on and results-driven individual to work closely with 14W’s Partner and Principal. You will be an integral part of the team and will play a key role identifying new opportunities, conducting due diligence, closing deals and managing portfolio companies.
- Identify and analyze new investment opportunities
- Conduct investment diligence including financial diligence, market analysis, customer and prospect interviews, and management references
- Initiate and maintain relationships with entrepreneurs
- Assist portfolio companies and monitor key financial and operating results of portfolio companies
- Perform market research on industries and competitors and create well-crafted investment thesis.
- Prepare internal portfolio quarterly report
- Work with the Partner and closely with the Principal to handle everyday operations of the venture firm
- Relevant work experience (1-2 years), necessary experience in either investment banking, consulting, technology startup, venture capital / growth investing, corporate development, or relevant business development
- Demonstrated proficiency with Excel and PowerPoint (both are key requirements for the job)
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Attention to detail and exceptional presentation / analytical skills
- Strong familiarity and passion for technology, media, ecommerce, and consumer internet investing
- An excellent educational record from a top institution (please include GPA in resume)
- A desire to work in an unstructured small group environment
- Track record of active collaboration across different stakeholders within work environment
Interested candidates should complete a short exercise (details below) and submit along with their resumes to email@example.com, no later than September 15.
Create a diligence memo (in Powerpoint, ~5 slides) about the following:
Choose one vertical or technology trend impacting consumer behavior today. Include why the area is important, where significant value will be created, and what investable opportunities are available.
Then, choose a start-up (Series A or Series B stage) within this vertical/trend and evaluate the company’s value proposition and business model, highlighting investment positives and risks. Include a section on KPIs you would like the company to provide. Be sure to include other discussion points relevant to making an investment decision.
We will be evaluating this exercise for the content (your memo should be concise yet thorough) as well as presentation skills and attention to detail (exhibits and other visuals are always helpful to digest information).