Are you obsessed with industry trends, ways of forecasting founder success, and scenarios that might yield a positive return for investors? Do you look at a startup and think of ways that it might succeed, why it might fail? Do you have expertise in either access to economic opportunity (health, education, financial services) or resource sustainability (energy, agriculture, water)?
Village Capital (LinkedIn, Crunchbase) runs annual investment programs which seek to assist companies with funding to aid their businesses. As a result, it is looking for an Investment Analyst who will run with the sourcing, recruiting, evaluation, preparation and supporting companies through the process. The successful candidate will be expected to have assisted two exciting strong organisations from Sub-Saharan Africa, in securing funding by June 2018.
This is a great opportunity for an individual who is obsessed with industry trends, ways of forecasting founder success, and scenarios that might yield a positive return for investors. One who looks at a startup and think of ways that it might succeed, why it might fail. Who has sector expertise in either access to economic opportunity (health, education, financial services) or resource sustainability (energy, agriculture, water).
Seek out and evaluate
- Analyse the market to source and recruit companies into the Village Capital program
- Define a criteria against which to evaluate the companies against market trends in the region or sector
- Evaluate the companies based on the defined benchmarking criteria
- Actively take part in the confirmatory qualitative and quantitative due diligence interviews of the companies that meet the benchmarking criteria
Prepare and support
- Be the point person who actively assists the shortlisted companies define financial models
- Create Investor Briefs and 3rd Party Verified Investment Memos for the shortlisted organisations
- Lead the closing process with entrepreneurs and third-party service providers to ensure companies meet all regulatory requirements for receiving foreign investment
- Put together rigorous Investment Memos on the selected companies for the co-investors
- Support Village Capital in adding value to the existing portfolio of companies
- Cultivate a network of strategic co-investors locally to participate in early-stage investments
Does this sound like you?
- Have 2 – 5 years’ experience in investments, financial modelling
- Have an understanding of how startup companies make money for investors
- Have experience working in Sub-Saharan Africa
- Are proficient in Excel, PowerPoint, and other tools to both analyze and promote companies
- Finance experience desired, in particular, experience and familiarity with financial models and cap tables
- Have a sense of urgency in solving problems that matter
- Have empathy for entrepreneurs, particularly those in industries addressing large social and/or environmental challenges
- Self-directed and independently motivated to design and execute on deliverables as well as manage investment closing timelines
- Resourceful in developing and maintaining awareness of market comparables, transactions as well as trends especially particularly where data may not be readily available
- Intellectually curious—you’re reading this job description and already have 3-5 revisions, suggestions, or “how about X?”
If interested, please apply here.