NewSchools Venture Fund is a national nonprofit that supports and invests in promising and innovative education entrepreneurs and leaders, and helps them accomplish their missions to achieve outstanding results for the schools, students and educators they serve. We are committed to helping students graduate high school prepared and inspired to achieve their most ambitious dreams and plans. Through our investing, management assistance, network building, and thought leadership, NewSchools helps to reimagine PK-12 education.
For an overview of the Ed Tech investment area, please visit our website.
NewSchools is hiring a Research & Operations Analyst to support market research and operations for the Ed Tech team. The Ed Tech team invests in promising for-profit and nonprofit entrepreneurs developing digital tools and services that support teaching and learning in PK-12 schools. The position will report to the Managing Partner and be located in our Oakland office.
Key responsibilities will include, but are not limited to, the following:
1. Market Research and Venture Diligence (60%)
- Perform research to build a detailed understanding of the target market gaps in K-12 education technology
- Analyze and synthesize research findings to develop valuable insights and strategic recommendations
- Perform due diligence on prospective investments, including financial analysis, and conduct post-investment analyses of all ventures and portfolio as a whole
- Develop polished materials that synthesize analyses for a variety of internal and external stakeholders
- Seek opportunities to share key analysis and insights publicly
2. Event Planning (15%)
- Lead the planning and coordination of external events for the Ed Tech team. This will include managing site selection; food and beverage planning; attendee management; travel coordination and reimbursements; and day-of support for up to four major meetings annually.
- Support the design, content creation, and meeting facilitation of these meetings
- Maintain systems to support portfolio online community
3. Systems & Processes (15%)
- With support from our Shared Services team, research, identify, implement and manage software systems to streamline the recruitment, selection and communication with our ventures
- With guidance from Partners, develop processes to track and correspond with new ventures through recruitment, due diligence, and selection process
- Maintain systems to support the ventures online community
- Serve as liaison between Ed Tech and Shared Services teams to ensure that our team’s systems & processes align with larger organizational structures
4. Special Projects (10%)
- Design and lead key projects for the team that will drive our strategy forward
Skills, Qualifications and Work Style
- Success in the position will require, but not be limited to, the following proven competencies:
- Commitment to our mission and strategy, including the improvement of public education and working with diverse communities
- Strong analytical, critical-thinking and problem-solving skills
- Proficiency in financial modeling and financial statement analysis preferred
- Excellent written and oral communication skills; ability to communicate effectively with a wide variety of people at all levels, internally and externally
- Willingness to take initiative and own high priority tasks and projects
- Work style suited to working in a small-team setting, where teamwork and resourcefulness are highly valued
- Comfort and ability to manage multiple priorities amid high ambiguity
- Ability to appropriately prioritize work, handle multiple tasks simultaneously, manage time effectively and deliver high-quality work on time
- Proficiency in using Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Google Docs; ability to perform Internet research
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree, advanced degrees welcomed
- Minimum 3 years of professional experience
- Finance, management consulting, teaching, education technology, research and entrepreneurial experience are all valued
We make a competitive compensation package available to all employees, including base salary, performance bonus, professional development, and complete benefits.
Please be prepared to upload a cover letter and resume, as well as 2-3 writing samples.
NewSchools Venture Fund is an equal opportunity employer. People of all backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
If interested, please apply here.