Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Assumes the internal program management duties for the EDA’s Angel Tax Credit Program (ATC). Conducts a thorough review of the applications received and assigned under the Angel Investor Tax Credit program for adherence to legislative program guidelines.
- Manages the Angel Tax Credit log for weekly, monthly, and quarterly statistical analysis.
- Reviews all subscription documents, cash transfer documents, stock certificates/member unit documents, bank statements, capital charts and all other supporting documents to assure accurate program compliance.
- Follows up with applicant investor and technology company for incomplete documents. Assures timely review of applicants and adherence to department policies of notice and communication to all applicants. Assures accurate file diligence documentation and reporting within system databases.
- Prepares NJEDA board delegation memorandums highlighting quarterly Angel Tax Credit Activity
- Participates in the annual review of assigned individual NOL applications.
- Coordinates the inflow and review of the due diligence materials for Edison Innovation Loan Funding programs, reviewing for accuracy and highlighting any areas for concern or inability to providing requested documentation from standard due diligence list and collaborates with the Venture officer on highlighting, deficiencies and/or gaps.
- In collaboration with the Venture Officer, follows up with applicant, for needed information. Conducts site visits with applicants to discuss projects.
- Prepares Edison loan investment underwriting packages including financial statements, business cash flow analysis, collateral analysis and the strengths, weaknesses and mitigants of each loan to be approved; analysis of public policy considerations and compliance with internal credit and program policies. Recommends debt repayment structure within the program guidelines. In collaboration with the Venture Officer, presents each loan for consideration at monthly loan review committee.
- In collaboration with the Venture Officer, reviews draft commitment letters once loans are approved for consistency with Board approvals and correctness. Interfaces with Closing dept. and the applicant to coordinate the timely collection and submission of all pertinent documentation related to closing.
- Post Loan Closing, reviews milestone disbursement requests from applicants, draft approval memos noting financial performance against stated goals, prepare requisition forms, and interface with Accounting to disburse funds. Leads the preparation of operating and/or delegated authority memos in collaboration with the Venture Officers, noting the section of the loan agreement which is material, assuring all pertinent financials are available and summarizing the data.
- Supports varying projects to advance the business goals of the TLS Department as requested by the Program Manager.
- Promotes teamwork and communication to encourage an interactive, cooperative, collaborative, and customer focused work environment among division, EDA staff and external customers.
- Performs other duties and special projects, as assigned.
Required Skills and Abilities
- Exceptional analytical skills with a keen focus on details and audit trails.
- Keen ability to prioritize and work through overlapping projects.
- Understanding of the capital structure of technology companies, with a focus on third party investors.
- Familiarity with various investment vehicles including Corporate investors, Limited Liability Corporations, Individual Investors and Trusts.
- Ability to understand the business model for early stage technology companies and their specific needs.
- Familiarity and interest in the technology entrepreneurial community.
- Exceptional interpersonal and presentation skills and the ability to effectively interface with a broad range of audiences including senior management, business and industry partners, as well as individual customers and prospects.
- Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing; proficient in grammar, spelling, and editing and foster communications with business professionals and EDA staff.
- Must be a critical thinker and possess rigorous analytical capabilities.
- Solutions-oriented, good attention to detail and follow-up.
- Ability to prioritize workload, must be highly organized, detail-oriented, handle various tasks simultaneously and work independently within limited time constraints with little or no supervision.
- Ability to learn and understand EDA and State programs which support the technology community.
- Strong work ethic, ability to be proactive and responsive in a team environment.
- Must be able to maintain confidentiality and deal effectively and diplomatically with business professionals and EDA staff.
- Demonstrates respectful behavior and promotes teamwork and communication to encourage an interactive, cooperative, collaborative and customer focused work environment among division, EDA staff and external customers.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite and the ability to learn new software packages.
Education and Experience Requirements
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business Administration, Finance, Accounting or related fields, and/or equivalent experience.
- 1-3 years in venture capital, or equity research preferred.
- Minimum seven years related work experience.
- Experience in financial analysis.
- Demonstrated track record of strong academic performance.
Advanced degree or industry specific certification may be substituted for 1 year of experience
- Must comply with the “New Jersey First Act” which requires employees hired after September 1, 2011 to reside in New Jersey. Non-New Jersey resident employees must relocate to New Jersey within one year of their date of hire and provide proof of residency to Human Resources.
- Must complete an Outside Activity Questionnaire (disclosure of outside office or employment) on an annual basis.
- Analyzes and prepares incentive approval packages for technology focused incentive programs, and conducts diligence and financial review for venture debt loan applications resulting in a financial analysis memo for the Technology & Life Sciences Division. Works closely with the Authority’s Venture Officers and takes a lead role in the diligence of new incentive applications and growth capital loans.
If interested, please apply here.