If you’re passionate about becoming a Nationwide associate and believe you have the potential to be something great, let’s talk.
Number 57 on the Fortune Magazine 100 Best Places to Work.
Support sourcing and execution of a portfolio of investments that enable Nationwide to thrive in the future and drive innovation through new technology, processes, services, and business models. Nationwide Ventures makes direct minority equity investments in startup companies and forms partnerships in areas such as next-generation technology and business models for financial services and insurance. The analyst will work with investment professionals and Sr investment professionals to gain expertise in venture investing. The work includes evaluating investments in early-to-late stage companies that have a strategic importance to Nationwide, supporting financial and strategic analysis of prospective investments, and performing in-depth industry, technology, and investment written research / analysis and recommendations utilized by Nationwide Ventures and internal stakeholders to support and promote investment theses and strategy decisions.
Reporting Relationships: Reports to IP/SIP/Sr Director/AVP/VP, Venture Capital and Open Innovation.
Core Duties and Responsibilities:
- Performs in-depth industry, technology, investment, and benchmarking examinations and produces written research / analysis and recommendations utilized by Nationwide Ventures and internal stakeholders to support and promote investment theses and strategy decisions. This includes: screening and underwriting investment memos, white papers, thesis area executive summaries, and presentation decks.
- Supports deal underwriting efforts; reviews and analyzes business plans; performs business, market, product, and team construction due diligence on transactions; researches industries and competitors; and documents findings.
- Builds financial and analytical models and conducts sensitivity analyses on prospect investments and portfolio companies.
- Supports Nationwide Ventures day-to-day operations; assisting with reporting / analysis and on-going run requirements.
- Supports operational activities including internal business partner management, internal and external marketing efforts, and participates in conferences and other external events to promote Nationwide Ventures in the entrepreneurial and venture capital ecosystem.
- Perform all other duties as assigned.
Typical Skills and Experiences:
Education: Bachelors in related field
Experience: 1-2 years of prior experience in the entrepreneurial and/or the technology focused ecosystem, or 1-2 years of investment experience focused on equity with an interest or focus on technology. Strong analytical and/or modeling skills developed through related experience in venture capital, strategic consulting, investment banking, equity research or business or corporate development. Startup/operator, venture capital, and/or technical experience specifically in the financial services (FinTech) or insurance (InsurTech) industry sectors a plus.
Knowledge, Abilities and Skills: General understanding of investment processes and valuation methodologies. Knowledge of financial services, banking, and insurance a strong differentiation. A great teammate with a low ego who is self-motivating and takes initiative; work effectively and flexibly as part of a high-performing team. Detail-oriented and able to manage competing priorities across a variety of tasks and timelines. Ability to make well-reasoned conclusions and recommendations regarding research and analysis. Ability to work both independently and with a team under tight deadlines in a fast paced and rapidly changing environment. Excellent personal rapport and ability to engender trust and respect across Nationwide. Excellent oral and written communication, and strong business and creative writing skills. Willingness and ability to travel.
Other criteria, including leadership skills, competencies and experiences may take precedence.
Staffing exceptions to the above must be approved by the hiring manager’s leader and HR Business Partner.
Values: Regularly and consistently demonstrates the Nationwide Values and Guiding Behaviors.
Overtime Eligibility: Exempt
Working Conditions : Sitting in front of a computer for long periods of time; moderate travel
ADA: The above statements cover what are generally believed to be principal and essential functions of this job. Specific circumstances may allow or require some people assigned to the job to perform a somewhat different combination of duties.
If interested, please apply here.