Myriant Corporation is located in the Greater Boston area – a mega hub for new technology incubators – and is a wholly owned subsidiary of Global Chemical Company, a $20 billion petrochemical and material conglomerate headquartered in Thailand. Myriant serves both as a biotechnology research & development center, as well as a corporate venture capital (CVC) and technology scouting unit for GC with a mission to find new blockbuster, synergistic technology and bring it to commercialization.
Global Chemical Public Company Limited, “GC” headquartered in Thailand is a flagship refining and petrochemical company of PTT group, a national energy company ranked 93th in Fortune Global 500. GC works very closely with the Thai government to support the Eastern Economic Corridore (EEC) policy to enhance economic growth and to establish an advanced manufacturing hub in the Southeast Asia region. GC plans to invest in new technologies in various areas, including advanced material, industrial digital platform, life science, clean and green technologies, etc. through internal innovation, external partnership and corporate venture capital.
Reporting to the Senior Director of Technology and New Business Development, the Corporate Venture Capital Analyst will be responsible for new technology scouting, market research, SWOT analysis, competitive benchmarking, technical and financial due diligence of new technologies and business opportunities in various industrial areas.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Lead the identification and evaluation of new technologies and solutions in advanced material, industrial digitals, clean & green tech, etc. that are in line with GC’s strategies
- Actively scout for new opportunities by networking with startups, venture capital communities, and attending various events
- Represent Myriant/GC Corporate Venture Capital team to various events
- Conduct market research to analyze market opportunities and competitive landscape for new opportunities
- Screen new opportunities to determine technical merits, soundness of the business plan, and coherence to the technology scouting and CVC strategies
- Maintain up-to-date dealflow pipeline database and perform regular check-in with key contacts in the active dealflows.
- Develop an investment pitch deck with details on investment opportunities for reviews by GC Investment Committee
- Develop information package needed to secure approvals from GC stakeholders in order to enter into a partnership deal with collaborators
- Participate or lead the due diligence to assess novel technologies/solutions and support financial due diligence activities
- Document findings from scouting activities in the common database and effectively sharing with peers and facilitating knowledge management
- Strong technical background and broad knowledge in the area of new material, polymers, or industrial digital platforms
- Proven experience in developing technology screening tools or metrics to be able to compare and rank various competitive technologies
- Ability to drive market relevant technical projects to completion
- Ability to summarize and distill complex technical concepts and effectively communicating and presenting both verbally and written to global audiences from various levels and backgrounds
- Ability to provide justification to the recommended deals and defend them in front of peers, senior management, or Investment Committee
- Proficient in driving results, with a sense of accountability and ability to change pace and focus rapidly when required
- Ability to handle multiple projects with different scopes and deadlines
- Experience in value chain analysis
- Detail-oriented approach to problem solving
- Demonstrated ability to establish key contacts and to network across functions within a complex business environment internally
- Demonstrated ability to establish key contacts and decision makers, and to network effectively with external organizations, industries and/or universities
- Ability to work collaboratively across functions within the business unit and across the organization
- Strong written and communication skills in English
- Demonstrated track record of successful technical development.
- Professional presentation skills
- Ability to travel locally or out of state 25-30%
- Education and/or Experience
- B.S. Material Science, Polymer Chemistry, Chemical Engineering, Bioengineering, or related field
- Advanced degree or M.B.A preferred
- Experience with performing market research, competitive benchmarking, and technology scouting
- Experience working with a venture capital firm or a consulting firm is a plus
- 1-3 year’s experience in Market Research, Business Development, or R&D in material, chemical or biotech industries
If interested, please apply here.