Title, Department: Venture Analyst (internship), K50 Ventures
What is K50 Ventures?
K50 Ventures (part of the Kairos HQ family) invests in entrepreneurs making work and life better for the “99% economy”. Each year, we invest in the outliers across the globe that are building mission-driven companies in the categories of Housing, Health & Wellness, Education, Finances, and Future of Work.
We have invested in 120+ companies some of which include: Mammoth Biosciences (San Francisco), Self Lender (Austin), Ayenda (Colombia), Culdesac (San Francisco), Easyknock (New York), Cuidas (Brasil), Groww (India), 100 Plus (San Francisco), etc.
What is Kairos?
Kairos is a venture studio with a family of brands that aim to make life better and more affordable starting with housing and healthcare. Kairos started as a talent incubator 12 years ago to inspire and support young entrepreneurs to start mission-driven companies.
What is a Venture Analyst?
We invest in mission-driven founders that look for multi-billion dollar outcomes by improving access, affordability, productivity, and care for consumers around the world. We are looking for incredibly thoughtful, empathetic, and ambitious individuals that have the experience and passion for solving problems within Housing, Health, Wellness, Food, Education, or Future of Work. You will be instrumental in shaping our theses and strategy for investing in these sectors.
Candidates should have a strong interest in learning about the venture capital industry, start-up technology companies, and a hunger for solving the world’s biggest problems. All summer Venture Analysts (VAs) will gain exposure to key areas of venture capital including thought leadership, thesis development, investment memo creation, deal sourcing / diligence / execution, and more. The Venture Analysts will also work closely with the K50 Ventures investment team, who will serve as resources throughout the summer. Please note that this opportunity was created to expose individuals to careers in venture capital and is not expected to lead to a full-time position at K50 Ventures.
The ideal candidate will be entering their first or second year of an MBA, MS, JD, PhD or a comparable graduate program in the Fall of 2020. We are also open to individuals with a few years of startup experience looking to transition into a career in VC.
At the end of your tenure, you will have a strong thesis and expert opinions about the sector you chose. You will have done the following:
- Researched and prepared a detailed report while learning how to develop a venture capital thesis
- You created long term relationships with known entities and individuals in the space
- To discuss the particular problem, challenges, and opportunities, you produced a piece of content (e.g. blog post, podcast, virtual event/round table) that could include but are not limited to the end users, partners, regulators, and/or founders of startups
- Collaborating on range of projects and analysis, including some administrative support as necessary
- As a bonus, your work could even turn into an investment (or two!)
- Start Date: June 1
- Location: Remote
- Currently pursuing an MBA, MS, JD, PhD in science, business or other disciplines. We are also open to non-traditional candidates that can demonstrate a genuine interest in venture capital.
- A deep passion for Kairos and K50 Venture’s mission and approach to venture capital and entrepreneurship, and preferably some professional exposure to our focus areas
- A minimum of 2 years work experience, preferably with the following credentials:
- Experience in the private sector through venture capital, strategy consulting at top tier firm, or private equity
- Experience working on public policy, workforce development, poverty, or social impact
- Experience working in the tech sector at a start-up or through consulting work
- Experience working on the ground in middle income and/or emerging markets (e.g. LATAM, Africa, etc.)
- Skill Set:
- High degree of flexibility and adaptability
- Creative and independent self-starter who takes a high degree of personal responsibility over work product
- Strong critical thinking and excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent research and analysis skills, including experience with quantitative and qualitative research methods and research design
- Resourcefulness, solid judgment, and ability to work in a fast-paced, challenging environment; strong teammate
- An amazing look inside early stage startup investing and venture creation
- A role where you have 90% autonomy and will come out with tangible results and relationships
- Diverse and dynamic work environment – one day you are modeling and doing market analysis on a particular problem and the next producing an event to speak about that problem intimately
- Access to the top tier venture capital and startup ecosystem
- While this is an unpaid internship you will gain real experience that you can leverage into a future role in venture capital or high growth venture-backed startup
- Send and email with the subject ‘Venture Analyst – Name’ to email@example.com
- Include your resume and a cover letter or personal pitch deck (consisting of about me, experience, values, strengths and weaknesses, goal from internship, career northstar, etc.)