We’re hiring Analysts to be based out of San Francisco, Toronto, and/or Calgary.
As an Analyst, you don’t need to have any VC experience coming into the role. We’re looking for someone with a demonstrated interest in the startup ecosystem and a unique perspective on what makes a good investment. You might have spent a summer working for a VC firm, or a year or two at a startup, but these are in no way prerequisites.
Outlined below is a snapshot of the role requirements. Your level of ownership will vary, but you’ll play a role in each of these key elements:
- Building strong relationships with company founders to uncover potential new investments;
- Perform in-depth sector research to develop new investment themes and writing investment memos;
- Listening to investment pitches and quickly assessing the attractiveness of investment opportunities;
- Conducting due diligence on new investments based on qualitative and quantitative factors (including: researching competitive landscapes, building financial models, and running diligence calls);
- Representing iNovia at industry events, conferences and networking activities;
- Preparing presentations and analysis to lead internal or ad-hoc projects with existing iNovia portfolio companies alongside the iNovia lead partner; and
- Be a part of perfecting the craft — we will encourage you to create and execute on your own projects to add insight, efficiency and scale our internal processes to help support our growth, and have a long-lasting impact on the iNovia team, and our community of founders and investors.
To succeed at iNovia regardless of role, you will need to be relentlessly curious, passionate about data, inherently resourceful and a strong relationship-builder. Here are some of the other qualities we look for as we build our team:
- Has ideally graduated with a technical degree (CS, Engineering, Science, Math, Data Science, or Economics) or business degree;
- Understands how to read financial statements and to build a dynamic model but also how to extrapolate narratives from large sets of incomplete qualitative and quantitative data;
- Can build data models and tools to obtain actionable insights and drive decision making processes;
- Does a full market assessment before buying any product — has a perspective on what makes a product, a company or an industry great;
- Is able to run and deliver a project with minimal supervision;
- Enjoys connecting and empathizing with startup teams;
- Has worked at a startup (bonus points!) or dreams of doing so in a couple of years;
- Is a self-starter and takes initiative without needing direction;
- Is not a “Know-it-All”, but rather a “Learn-it-All”.
Building diverse teams is one of our core values at iNovia. We encourage applications from individuals of all backgrounds, including but not limited to race, ethnicity, religion, gender, sexual orientation, and age.
All interested applicants can submit a resume and cover letter and include links to external profiles (Twitter, LinkedIn, Facebook, AngelList, Github, your personal blog, etc). Your cover letter shouldn’t be longer than one page and should answer the following question: What’s the most promising early stage startup you’ve seen and why? What makes it promising, and what are the risks?
iNovia is a venture capital firm that invests in category-defining technology startups. Epic companies are forged by exceptionally qualified founders; iNovia supports these remarkable individuals with custom playbooks for attracting talent and scaling efficiently. Together we perfect the craft of building digital platforms and services that transform old industries and push technology frontiers. iNovia manages $500M across three funds and invests across Canada and the United States. For more information, visit http://www.inovia.vc.
If interested, please apply here.