GMG Ventures (“GMGV”) is a £42 million early stage venture capital fund, set up to invest in start-ups that are impacting the rapidly evolving digital media ecosystem. It has one limited partner, The Scott Trust, which among other assets and funds, owns the Guardian news organisation. As with any venture capital fund, GMGV is set up to generate financial return, however it also has strategic objectives linked to the Guardian. We have a clear investment strategy, set of investment themes and structured approach to help set up our portfolio companies to benefit from the wider Guardian Media Group, including its vast external network and the prestigious and trusted brand of the Guardian.
Our portfolio comprises of direct investments made by the fund, primarily at the seed and series A stage. We invest earlier than seed stage through our partnership with Founders Factory, where we are its global exclusive partner in the media vertical.
Portfolio companies include Vidsy, Decoded and the Narrative in the UK, Spoken Layer, Vizual.ai and Poncho in the US. We have also selected a broad portfolio of incubator and accelerator stage companies in the media sector via Founders Factory, including Subsy/Airsupply, Entale, Flourish, People.io, Fanbytes, Alegra, A Million Ads, Gyana, Newsroom and Zipabout.
Investment Analyst Role
We are looking for a dynamic, enthusiastic and exceptional individual to join GMGV as an Investment Analyst to help grow and develop this new fund. You would be key member of this collaborative team to help it deliver its financial and strategic goals. You will participate directly in the key stages of the investment process and management of the fund’s existing portfolio. You will also work with many start-ups, as well as talented Guardian employees, in a unique and stimulating environment.
Duties of the Investment Analyst role will include:
- Assisting with sourcing, evaluating and executing venture capital investments
- Being a member of the due diligence team for prospective investments – preparing market research, evaluating its strategy, assessing the commercial model and analysing the company’s product or offering
- Financial modelling, including valuation analysis
- Working with the GMGV team to prepare concise deal memos, for decision makers
- Maintaining close relationships with ambitious founders of portfolio companies, to assist them in endeavouring to unlock any unfair advantages from / collaboration with, the Guardian, given the fund’s association with it
- Related to the incubator and accelerator programme – spearheading sessions with members of the Guardian team and Founders Factory to brainstorm new concepts and endeavour to build partnerships with the resulting companies, with the Guardian
- Helping with a diverse range of other responsibilities, including assisting with events, helping the team to build and foster relationships with the venture capital and start-up community and day to day duties associated with running a new fund
Skills and Experience
The role would require the following levels of skills and experience:
- 1 – 2 years work experience in Private Equity/Venture Capital, Strategy Consulting or Corporate Finance
- Exceptional academic track record
- High energy, team player, who has experience of working successfully in cross-functional team environments
- Passion for the digital media sector
- High level of personal integrity and resonance with the values of the Scott Trust
- Exceptional analytical and quantitative skills with a data driven approach to problem-solving
- A brave thinker, who is open to drive change and challenge the status quo
- Ability to think strategically, while maintaining a rigorous attention to detail
- Strong written and communication skills
- Excellent organisational and planning skills and demonstrable ability to successfully manage a number of demanding projects concurrently
- Strong interpersonal skills and self-awareness, with an ability to develop and foster internal and external relationships
- Enthusiasm for working in a diverse and vibrant environment
- Language skills are preferred (but not necessary)
- Highly proficient with Microsoft Excel and Microsoft Powerpoint
To apply for this unique role, please email firstname.lastname@example.org, including a CV and short cover letter setting out the reasons for your interest in the role.
If interested, please apply here.