FINCA Ventures is an early stage impact investing fund supporting social enterprises across sub-Saharan Africa. We make equity investments in the seed or series A rounds of market-based innovators across industries, including energy, agriculture, sanitation, education, and health. We view each of our investments through the lens of how FINCA as a strategic partner can help them grow smarter and faster, and how the social enterprise makes our customer segment more resilient and more productive. We are one of the few strategic corporate investors in the space, and we endeavor to add differentiated value to our portfolio companies by being connected to a global microfinance banking network (20+ countries, 10,000+ employees) and customer base (~2M globally)
In addition to supporting FINCA Ventures, the Investment Analyst will also support FINCA Forward. FINCA Forward is a partnership lab where microfinance institutions, fintechs, and investors meet, to test, learn, validate (or fail and pivot), and fund financial technology innovations serving the BOP. FINCA Ventures plays a key role helping to source promising fintechs to participate in the program and evaluating the companies afterwards for investment.
FINCA is hiring an Investment Analyst reporting to the Vice President. In joining this newly formed team, you will have an instrumental role in shaping the strategy behind each of these new program areas, and in bolstering FINCA’s role and impact in ending poverty.
About the Role
- Fully support investment process including helping identify and manage pipeline sources, screening opportunities, assisting in due diligence, and writing investment memorandum.
- Conduct market research to assist in developing sector strategy to inform investment thesis on various industries to guide our due diligence efforts.
- Develop and monitor key impact metrics to measure and evaluate the social returns on investments.
- Develop and write blog posts and thought pieces for influence building.
- Develop, support, and coordinate post-investment activities for portfolio companies.
- Help develop systems and processes to streamline and document the full investment process.
The candidate should possess:
- Two to three years of experience in investment banking or management consulting with experience in financial modeling, writing investment memos, and business model analysis.
- Familiarity and commitment to the impact investing, venture capital, microfinance, fintech, and / or any of the above stated sectors of focus for FINCA Ventures, particularly in sub-Saharan Africa.
- Superior analytical, quantitative, and business writing skills with a demonstrated ability to communicate investment themes, and perform business analysis, and market assessment.
- Strong project management skills, particularly the ability to work and deliver projects independently and under pressure.
- Intellectual curiosity, tenacity, sense of humor, and creativity.
FINCA offers a competitive compensation and benefits package commensurate with experience.
Availability to travel 20% of the time from home location; Position will be based in Washington DC.
Analytical – Synthesizes complex or diverse information; Collects and researches data; Uses intuition and experience to complement data; Designs work flows and procedures.
Problem Solving – Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; Gathers and analyzes information skillfully; Develops alternative solutions; Works well in group problem solving situations.
Written Communication – Writes clearly and informatively; Varies writing style to meet needs; Presents numerical data effectively; Able to read and interpret written information.
Teamwork – Balances team and individual responsibilities; Exhibits openness to others’ views; Gives and welcomes feedback; Contributes to building a positive team spirit; Puts success of team above own interests; Builds morale and group commitments to goals and objectives; Supports everyone’s efforts to succeed.
Diligence – Accurate and thorough in all deliverables; Dedicated taskmaster that delivers on all promises; Willingness to go above and beyond to get the job done.
Entrepreneurial – Loves the opportunity to build something from the ground up; Thrives in environments with ambiguity and autonomy; Able to focus on the big picture while executing the little things required to grow.
Innovation – Displays original thinking and creativity; Meets challenges with resourcefulness; Generates suggestions for improvement; Develops innovative approaches and ideas; Presents information in a manner that gets others’ attention.
Fun – Brings levity and enjoyment to their work; Wants to be a part of a team that doesn’t take itself too seriously, but takes laughing very seriously; Creates excellent puns with minimal effort.
If interested, please apply here.