Bertelsmann Digital Media Investments (BDMI) is looking for a dedicated, resourceful VC Analyst to join our venture capital team in New York as part of our 2-year analyst program.
BDMI is a corporate venture capital fund investing in startups that provide innovative digital media technologies, products, and distribution channels in North America, Europe, and Israel. We look for early stage opportunities where we can accelerate growth through BDMI’s financial and management resources and broad connectivity to various Bertelsmann divisions.
Bertelsmann is a media, services and education company that operates in about 50 countries around the world. It includes the broadcaster RTL Group, the trade book publisher Penguin Random House, the magazine publisher Gruner + Jahr, the music company BMG, the service provider Arvato, the Bertelsmann Printing Group, the Bertelsmann Education Group and Ber-telsmann Investments, an international network of funds. The company has 119,000 employees and generated revenues of €17.2 billion in the 2017 financial year. Bertelsmann stands for entrepreneurship and creativity. This combination promotes first-class media content and innovative service solutions that inspire customers around the world.
We are looking for an Analyst (1-2 years prior work experience and pre-MBA) to join our NYC investment team and focus on sourcing and evaluating new deals, supporting due diligence, working with our existing portfolio companies and analyzing new technologies. The ideal candidate is someone who is savvy about digital media and the startup community with excellent critical thinking, financial and analytical skills.
Venture capital experience is a plus, but not required, since we will provide weekly sessions focused on deeper dives into various aspects of investing, diligence and analysis. This role is not partner-track, but our 2-year analyst program is designed to provide education and practical training in venture capital which should help prepare you for your next role at a startup company, media company or another VC firm.
- Analysis of market and technology trends
- Research, identify, and source new deal flow
- Due diligence on new investments including market research, competitive analysis, and financial modeling
- Preparing presentations and investment memos
- Supporting/preparing documentation for financial reporting and external audits
- Consulting/supporting portfolio companies
- Assist the investment team as needed
Preferred Skills and Experience
- Graduated with a high GPA from a top university (but pre-MBA)
- Relevant work experience (1-2 years), preferably from TMT investment banking, management consulting or corporate strategy.
- Familiar with the Internet and digital media ecosystems as businesses and evolving platforms, either from work experience or personal interest
- Passionate about technology and digital innovation
- Strong finance and financial modeling skills
- Motivated self-starter with ability to work well in an unstructured environment
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work well in a small team
- Strong critical thinking and analytical skills with ability to communicate thoughts clearly to the group
**Cover Letter Required**
Bertelsmann Digital Media Investments (BDMI) is a wholly owned subsidiary of the global media, services and education company Bertelsmann. As a financially driven corporate venture investor BDMI draws upon Bertelsmann’s global reach to provide not only capital, but also access to their network of businesses within Bertelsmann and across the media industry. BDMI has invested in over 50 startups since 2007 and is currently focused on the categories of online video, ad tech, SaaS, content and e-commerce.
If interested, please apply here.