At BDC, we’re devoted to Canadian entrepreneurs. We’re also dedicated to our employees. Adaptable. Inspiring. Different. There’s a reason we like to work here and we think you’ll like it too.
The Analyst is an integral member of the BDC Venture Coinvestments team and is involved in all aspects of the investment and portfolio management process. He/she helps the team build a portfolio of investments focusing innovative global Canadian champions.
This is an ideal role for someone who wants to develop into a venture industry professional. She/he will learn about the end to end investment process, network with all the major venture investment funds and meet many entrepreneurs, all across the country, and abroad.
BDC provides a “Best place to work” according to YY and that, for XX years in a row. You can join a great team, learn and develop in a flexible work environment while doing something truly exciting while helping to make our country’s entrepreneurial ecosystem thrive!
CHALLENGES TO BE MET
- Collaborate in the evaluation and assessment of new and follow-on investments including the process of sourcing new investments, conducting due diligence and providing support to existing portfolio companies.
- Conduct initial business plan reviews, manage initial communications with entrepreneurs and referring sources, and prepare initial interview memoranda and recommendations to pursue or decline.
- Attend trade shows, investment conferences and other events pertinent to business development.
- Conduct research and analysis on markets, ecosystems, financial forecasts, management, competition, etc. This involves talking to competitors and clients, analyzing research reports, interviewing and gathering information from industry experts, working with technical consultants to evaluate technologies, building valuation models and financial pro formas.
- Support portfolio companies by monitoring investment portfolios, providing financial, forecasting and statistical analyses, and identifying potential opportunities and issues.
- Assist in managing the deal pipeline, quarterly/bi-annual reports, and providing financial analysis.
What We Are Looking For
- First and foremost, we hire for fit with the team!
- Undergraduate degree in finance, accounting or commerce
- Minimum of two years of experience in a venture capital, investment banking, finance or technology company operations.
- Excellent analytical skills, attention to detail
- Some ability to assess the merits of new technologies, size and adoption rates of markets, and competitive forces faced when introducing new products
- Some knowledge of product development, marketing and sales
- Some knowledge of securities and share structures commonly used in the venture capital industry
- Ability to review financial forecasts and pro-forma financial statements
- Ability to work under pressure, deal with abstract concepts and multi-task
- Ability to work independently within a small team environment
- Excellent communication and analytical skills
- The ideal candidate will also possess strong networking skills and relationships in the industry (optional).
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel and PowerPoint)
If interested, please apply here.