We discover growth initiatives for TELUS by investing and partnering with entrepreneurial technology companies. We also actively support all business activity at TELUS, focusing on Health, Identity/Security, IOT, Tech Strategy and MITS. Embracing collaboration and investment opportunities, we build business cases to develop, monitor & analyze company progress and objectives.
Who You Are: Each day, you walk into work ready to learn, grow and innovate. Source, evaluate and promote technology innovation? That’s no problem for you! Courageously integrate initiatives by deciphering the company’s product status, roadmap, product value, and competitive differentiation? You’ve been there and done that! At the core of your talents, is your strength to communicate with a vast array of stakeholders including team members, C level executives and partner companies.You will work to source, evaluate and promote innovative investment opportunities. You will support Ventures team activities in conducting due diligence on potential investee companies as well as working to enhance the financial and operational performance of the existing portfolio (Currently 30 companies).
Your work will consist of working with the Ventures team to review products and services, management teams, conduct market scans and attend conferences, industry events and trade shows to source and evaluate opportunities. You will work closely with the team, including the Director Portfolio Enablement, based in Toronto, to develop business cases and measure performance against plan.You will work with various team members and key leadership from various business units as well as C Level executives from investee companies.
The individual will be expected to contribute to support our team in oversight and governance (including potentially acting as a Board Member or Observer) on our investee company Boards.TELUS Ventures’ mandate is to invest in global best of breed companies in order to:
- Deliver superior financial returns
- Benefit the portfolio company from TELUS value add by accelerating and expanding their development
- Address capability gaps, speed up the product development cycle and introduce new technologies to TELUS
- Enhance, expand and drive TELUS’ current and future product and service offerings
- Supporting the current portfolio by working to understand and improve their operations, financial forecasts, product roadmaps, competitive information
- Support the Ventures team with primary and secondary market research, financial modelling, etc
- Evaluate the technologies, patents and business proposition of new companies which are looking for investment from TELUS
- Broker business unit relationships with new companies and provide ongoing scorecards of viability
- Interface with Senior Business Unit VP’s and SVP’s of TELUS on a regular basis
- Interview and evaluate the management team of potential investment companies, including but not limited to the CEO, CFO, CTO and VP Positions
- Interface with senior investment bankers, venture capitalists, industry professionals and angel investors
- Interface with the corporate venture capital groups including Google, Microsoft, Motorola, Cisco, Intel, Verizon, Sprint, Nokia, Siemens and others
- Presentations to TELUS leadership on Technology Trends from a Ventures Perspective
- Must have experience leading or playing key role in transactions, ideally in technology sector
- Excellent communication, analytical, and interpersonal skills required for success in a small but fast moving team environment
- Experience evaluating investment or partnership opportunities from first meeting to completion
- Preference for candidates with 5 plus years of relevant experience in investment banking, Private Equity/Venture Capital or management consulting
- Should be experienced in managing due diligence process, developing financial and valuation models, and creating investment memos
- Ability to analyze a wide variety of businesses in the technology industry and to grasp inventions and analyze patents in a wide range of fields outside own area of technical expertise
- Experience or working knowledge of early stage technology ecosystems
- Enthusiastic, active learner and energetic approach to work
- Diligent, process oriented with extremely high ethical standards
Required Professional Designation/Certification
- Post graduate degree
- Preference for Engineering and/or MBA, CA, CFA designations
If interested, please apply here.