Member of Partnership Activation team to support and expand innovation through partnerships and other externally facing tactics to accelerate and launch internally developed opportunities in market. Role will lead the creation and vetting of a variety partner activation models while also executing partnerships to take to market. Specific responsibilities include; 1) determining best practices related to partnership models, staying current with relevant growth opportunities and trends, evaluation of incentive structures and their impact on success; 2) engaging Nationwide team members to assist in assessing opportunities to take forward and match against proven external execution partners with strong track records; 3) leading prioritization of opportunities across teams to focus on those with highest value based on domains, maturity, potential, and probably of success as well as; 4) being the primary driver of execution and management of deals / partnerships.
This role is compensation grade H
Job Description Summary
The Senior Consultant, Venture Capital will assist with executing investment opportunities that enable Nationwide to thrive in the future and drive innovation through new technology, processes, services, and business models. Nationwide Ventures makes direct minority equity investments and forms partnerships in areas such as next-generation technology and business models for financial services, insurance, and banking. The position will specifically identify and evaluate early-to-late stage companies that have a strategic importance to Nationwide for minority position investment. This includes financial and strategic analysis of prospects and portfolio companies, helping to source new opportunities, monitoring portfolio companies for milestone achievements, and providing guidance to portfolio companies as necessary. The role will also provide insights into emerging technologies, markets, and new business models that effect investment deal flow and that are of strategic importance to Nationwide’s future business models and operations.
Reporting Relationships: Reports to Sr Director/AVP/VP, Venture Capital and Open Innovation
Core Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Works as an integral member of Nationwide Ventures team in all aspects of venture capital investment process.
2. Identifies investment prospects; reviews and analyzes business plans; performs business, financial, and industry due diligence on transactions; researches industries and competitors; and documents findings.
3. Builds financial models and conducts sensitivity analyses on prospect and portfolio companies.
4. Supports portfolio companies, including shepherding partnerships and pilots within Nationwide.
5. Manages portfolio company reporting and review processes.
6. Performs in-depth industry examinations and produces written research/analyses utilized by Nationwide Ventures and internal stakeholders to support and promote investment decisions. This includes: screening and underwriting memos, white papers, blog posts, executive summaries, and marketing presentations.
7. Identifies technological, business, and operational disruptions and develops offensive and defensive investment strategies to address them.
8. Assists with development of Nationwide Ventures investment strategy, day-to-day operations, and reporting requirements.
9. Interacts with venture capital firms and other external partners that assist with generating deal flow.
10. Supports operational activities including internal business partner management, internal and external marketing efforts, and participates in conferences and other external events to promote Nationwide Ventures in the entrepreneurial and venture capital ecosystem.
11. Performs other duties as assigned
Typical Skills and Experiences:
Education: Bachelor’s degree preferred, Master degree desired.
Experience: At least five years of work experience in a related field, i.e. venture capital, private equity, entrepreneurship, investment banking, management consulting, etc; experience in performing early stage company due diligence and producing strategic, highly analytical, and compelling deal screens and investment underwriting memorandums; operations and/or technical experience in the financial services or insurance industry sectors a plus.
Knowledge: Excellent working knowledge of venture capital evaluation processes, including opportunity screening, due diligence, cash-flow and valuation modeling, and portfolio management; knowledge of financial services, banking, or insurance industry is a plus.
Skills/Competencies: Outstanding financial, analytical, and quantitative skills and proficiency in spreadsheet modeling, including cash-flow analysis and investment valuation techniques. Superior strategic-thinking skills, combined with impeccable business judgment and the ability to challenge and question perceived norms. Experience building and maintaining relationships with senior executives and market/industry experts. Interest in early stage companies, growth equity, and impact investing. Ability to work both independently and on a team under tight deadlines in a fast paced and rapidly changing environment. Passion for identifying promising high-margin, high-growth businesses. Excellent personal rapport and ability to engender trust and respect across Nationwide. Excellent oral and written communication, and strong business and creative writing skills. Willingness and ability to travel.
If interested, please apply here.