BASF (LinkedIn, Crunchbase) has been a committed partner to Greater China since 1885. With major investments in Nanjing, Shanghai and Chongqing, BASF is one of the largest foreign investors in the Chinese chemical industry, and maintains the BASF Asia PacificInnovation Campus (Shanghai) as a global and regional research and development hub. BASF posted sales of €5.9 billion in 2016 to customers in Greater China, and employed 8,805 people as of the end of that year.Objectives
- We are the corporate venture capital company of BASF Group. With team members in Europe, Asia and North America, we invest globally in promising start-up companies and other venture capital funds. Our investments focus is on innovative technologies and (digital) business models with a high growth potential where chemistry or new materials play an important role.
- We not only invest venture capital, but also support our investments through targeted interaction between BASF Group’s worldwide know-how network and our portfolio companies.
- The Investment Manager will join our dedicated team in Shanghai and assume responsibility (depending on intro) for all investment activities in China.
- Her/his task is to generate deal-flow (potential investment targets) by doing research, connecting with other venture capital firms in China, and by building relationships to universities, incubators, chemical parks, start-up associations and start-ups.
- In a small team based at the BASF Innovation Campus (see above), the Investment Manager will analyze the investment opportunities supported by colleagues from different business units and the research platforms at BASF. Focus areas of this newly established position are leading the detailed technical, commercial, financial and legal due diligence of pre-selected investment targets and negotiating term-sheets and subsequently the investment contracts.
- Following the closing of a transaction, the Investment Manager will be coaching and supporting the portfolio company as a board member.
- In this role, she/he will closely co-operate with the research platforms and the business units of BASF, monitor the strategic development of the portfolio company and prepare decisions regarding further funding or exit-opportunities.
- The Investment Manager will be part of a small team and therefore should be used to organize his working program independently. Previous experience in negotiating contracts and leading due diligence programs is essential.
- University degree in Business Administration, Finance, Chemistry or Engineering.
- At least 8 years of working experience with a (preferably international) venture capital / private equity fund, an international accounting or consulting firm.
- The candidate should have at least 8 years of relevant working experience. Ideally, the candidate previously has worked in an international venture capital or private equity company in China. Alternatively, having worked for a large international accounting firm (in the area of transaction services) or in a consulting firm with a focus on providing services to the venture capital / private equity industry would be regarded as a relevant experience. The candidate should have been exposed to an international, professional environment with English as a working language. Strong analytical skills and previous experience in negotiations will help her/him to evaluate and create investment opportunities.
- The Investment Manager should soon develop into the role of a “deal maker”, that is a self-confident person who is able to set her/his own goals, focus on interesting investment opportunities and execute these investments. She/he is a strong networker, constantly building sustainable relationships within the whole venture capital community and within BASF. Curiosity and the willingness to learn about people, industries and trends every day will be her/his primary motivation in this position. She/he should also be self-driven and seeking for challenges & opportunities.
- Fluent in Mandarin & English
If Interested, please apply here.